• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canned air--is it perfectly safe for cleaning dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

I noticed a lot of forum members use canned air to blow out dust from their cases. I am a bit wary of doing this because I recall using a can of compressed air one time, and it definitely spit out some liquid occasionally. Asssuming the computer is turned off, how harmful is it to splash a bit of liquid on the circuit boards, such as motherboard, video card, etc.? Aren't there capacitors and such on the boards that hold a charge, and liquid contacting in the right place could cause a short circuit condition that could potentially damage the component?

A few years ago, I had an old Rage Fury MAXX card that stopped working right after I had dusted it off using compressed air. However, I had transferred it to a new system after dusting it off, and it's possible that it was incompatible with the new system. If I recall correctly, that card was AGP 2X, and the system into which I installed it had a 4X AGP slot, which I believe had a different voltage spec than the card. Maybe running at the improper voltage killed the card. Nonetheless, this uncertainty is what has me worried about using canned air.

Although I do not use one myself, I heard the liquid only comes out when you shoot the can upside down. Other than that, I think it should be fairly safe and if any liquids do come out, make sure the device is cleaned and dry before use.

Its safe to use the air. As said before DO NOT turn upside down, or shake it up before use. This will lead to liquid coming out. I've used many brands over the past 3 years and I have yet to find one that I don't like.

You shouldn't have a problem finding one that works well, just stop by Office Max or Best Buy and pick up a pack and you'll be good to clean.

^^^ what he said and also before you use it - spary it out for about 2-3 seconds to get out any moisture first - then spary.

It also should evaporate in a matter a split second unless you're just really laying it on there by holding the can upside down or something.

Incidentally, some of that stuff is the EXACT same thing that's used on the spray cooler stuff you can get for spraying on a component to see if it's heating up causing a problem. Cools to like -140 degrees or something.

Back