• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer desks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

My friend is in the market for a new computer desk. Preferably, he says, a corner desk. I advised him to get a real wood desk, as pressureboard desks last something like 2 years lol. Where abouts would I go looking for one? Corner desk is not necessary but preferable.

What is "engineered wood"? All the desks I see are that or particle board. Personaly, my desk is solid oak and I was looking for similar.

I have no idea but you should give other types a chance. Weighs less and less chance of getting damaged from water etc.

Engineered wood doesnt sound too good though, like particle board. That stuff sucks for desks. I dont care if its balsa wood, but I want to find him a good piece of furniture that will last. He can spend multiple hundred dollars.

I have some cheap desk, and it's still holding up fine almost 2 years later.

It has a 75lb monitor sitting on it, and it only bows a little but.

Actually, I probably have around 200lbs of crap on it, and it's still doing fine.

"The lovely natural maple laminate"

Whats it made of? Im sure its a fine desk, but hes a bit rough on them. He broke his current keyboard tray 3 times, once on the desk when he was leaning on it, the tracks broke off, once where he broke them off the board and recently he cracked the pressureboard in half leaning on it.

He should just make a heavy duty tray... I've never even SEEN a stock keyboard tray that didn't suck...

My desk is a bunch of 2x4's and plywood... it works very well... and it's exactly what I needed too... And even my old particle board one is still going fine, even if all the cheap wood patern stuff is coming off...

i have the jerker (with the jerker drawer unit) and i love it. its exactly what i wanted
www.ikea.com

the galant series is super customizable, and they have a few corner designs.

We have decided to go with a glass or steel one, as ALL of the affordable(sub $500) desks are some sort of laminated fiberboard or particle board, at least partialy. I saw a nice glass one at staples, though I have no link for it atm.

zip22 said:
i have the jerker (with the jerker drawer unit) and i love it. its exactly what i wanted
www.ikea.com

the galant series is super customizable, and they have a few corner designs.

Friend of mine picked one of those up for $50 CAD, in the section where they sell the slightly scratched or damaged stuff. His was missing the bolts to put it together, even came with two of the shelf units. Might have been a demo unit at one time.

CrystalMethod said:
Friend of mine picked one of those up for $50 CAD, in the section where they sell the slightly scratched or damaged stuff. His was missing the bolts to put it together, even came with two of the shelf units. Might have been a demo unit at one time.

That's the BEST section to get stuff!

I've got a few picture frames I picked from there 'cause they had a black scuff mark on the backboard. That's ALL that was wrong with them.

I got it for $5 or $10, down from $25 or so.

I'd check out IKEA if you have one near you. Cheap prices and IKEA furniture lasts for awhile. I have a Galant desk with two extension things and I have a monitor, TV, speakers, magazine rack, bunch of Spindles, a router, cable modem, etc. and it is doing fine. Alot of people have them here and love them, go IKEA desks :) (and Galant series).

Problem with real wood, and not pressed cardboard, is price. A real wood desk would last forever, though. Below is what I got for xmas.

The problem with a corner desk is it doesn't take up all the corner.

Attachments

• w00t2.JPG
    w00t2.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 212
I sell furniture in texas, engineered wood is usually mdf " medium density fiberboard" particalboards close cousin but built to todays standards. If you want it too last go with real wood products, but it will cost a bit more. There are some good manufactures out there that use Engineered wood and the shapes of a desk are limitless with engineered wood too.

Rule of thumb, if it Less than $200 for a good size desk it a laminate or engineered wood. Solid wood has limits to shapes and what you can do with it. The only one that come to mind in texas that uses mostly solid wood is Creative Ideas. But it is alot of money for a desk of any size.

Hope that helps.

Oni said:
The Jerker comes w/ a drawer now!? :eek:

* Oni runs off to Ikea to get one for his Jerker.

Fantastic desks! Well-built, modular, and astetically pleasing :)

yeah, they're real nice too, very smooth and high quality feel to them. but they're kinda pricey. i dont know if they fit all of the jerker units. mine doesnt have the top shelf

Captain Slug said:
B0000TZY48.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg.gif
Natural Maple $179.99

It's hard to find corner desks that actually have foot room.

I have one somewhat similar to this i got at office max... i ripped off the keyboard tray and the shelves on the left for my box... its particle board, but ive spilled a TON of beer/soda/water on it and its holding up great... i think i paid like 150 fot it
ill try to figure out how to post pictures so i can show you

EDIT: and for leg room, im 6'2" and can strech out as much as i want

Back