• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kimbahpnam

After 2 years, my PC is on life support right now...I think it might be the hard drive, but I'm not sure. After I turn it on, it gets to the black XP screen showing it's loading, then after that it restarts. It doesn't even make it to the blue screen. I should mention that before it started not being able to load, for awhile it would freeze on the loading screen so I would have to restart 2-3 times before it would load. Now it just restarts. =(

What can I do?

Last edited:
swap out your powersupply before your blame it on your hdd, also run WD's Lifeguard tools for harddrives, or what ever they are called...

I'm looking to build a new rig anyway. I have been out of the computer loop since i built my last rig....I've got so much catching up to do.

If anyway has any input on what I should look at CPU/MOBO/RAM wise, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm looking that is just sufficient enough to run as a computer. Will $500 be enough to replace CPU/MOBO/RAM/PSU and maybe: HDD/VID Card? I want Silent more than anything...not looking to OC. 2+ GHZ is fine.

is this an hp? or is this a maxtor hdd?

im fixing htis blondes computer, SAME PROBLEM! It just loops. but if i boot to knoppix or a live CD, no problems.

formatting for the installation of XP took an hour. it gets stuck on quickformat at 20% EVERY time.

My cousin had the exact same problem. Well, a simliar problem. His comp would display the xp loading screen, and then we'd get a BSOD and it'd restart. Same thing happened with safe mode. The Windows XP repair worked, chkdsk /r fixed the problem.

Your system isn't that old (and probably isn't that messed-up). Just upgrade to a 400MHz barton, format and reinstall XP, and you will have a like-new computer that will last you at least another 2 years (assuming you just have a screwed up OS).

whatexactly causes bad caps?

EDIT: You guys are starting to make me wonder if this blondes comp isnt the HDD. Altho the clicking sound it sometimes makes gives it away and the fact that it boots a LiVeCD effortlessly gives it away

MadSkillzMan said:
whatexactly causes bad caps?

EDIT: You guys are starting to make me wonder if this blondes comp isnt the HDD. Altho the clicking sound it sometimes makes gives it away and the fact that it boots a LiVeCD effortlessly gives it away

Many things can cause bad caps.
Lately its been alot of talk about some bad manufactored(sp?) caps.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/3602/
Just google for leaky capacitor. Abit is, afaik, the only one that has admitted to been using those bad caps...

Formerly it was cheap taiwanese brands, with a ripped off japanese electrolyte formula that was missing an anticorrosion additive. That was the first wave of bad caps notorious on earlier boards. Now we seem to be hitting a second wave. The reasons for this lot seem to be that the reputable japanese makers got slammed for orders when the first wave hit, and consequently I think quality on some batches went down the pan, in the effort to get more out of the door. Secondly, there appear to be counterfeit Japanese brand name capacitors around, that manufacturers may have innocently used, thinking they found a source of good ones.

I was doing some research specific to the A7N8X deluxe, and a number of people seem to be having some issues and the finger has been pointed towards the caps, but I haven't seen any definitively confirmed. There is talk that the Rubycon caps used on some of them may not be as stable at higher FSBs as the versions with Nichicon caps on. However, complicating the analysis of this is the fact that counterfeit Rubycon caps have shown up, looking very similar, but actually saying "Rulycon" on them. So it's unclear whether the boards with the stability problems have had real Rubycons, and they are just a bit marginal in that application, or that they had fake Rubycons.

Also an issue on the A7N8X Deluxe is the type of RAM being used. Apparently Asus hasn't certified many modules for use on this board, and the use of anything other than the recommended ones, no matter how good a reputation they have on other boards, has had some people pulling thier hair out with reboot and instability issues.

regards,

Road Warrior

A friend of mine that has a computer store says that he have seen leaky cap on mobos from most of the major companies. Most of them are small value caps with green colour.... Not sure what to make of this, but he showed me a couple of examples, one beeing a Soltek mobo with bulges one every singel green cap on the board...

Yeah, it used to be the bigger caps, 3300, 2200, 1500 microfarads, but I think these being the problem before, the mobo makers have been taking more care with the selection of them. Then I guess they turned around and cut corners on the smaller value ones :rolleyes: so there's a lot of 200-1000 microfarad range ones going now.

Prices for quality caps went bonkers for a while I've heard, so it's possible they just said the hell with it and used whatever they could get. :bang head

Back