• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player-less WindowsXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you Want WMP-Less Windows XP

• Total voters

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Microsoft said today that it won't pursue any more appeals against an interim EU competition ruling to ship a version of Windows without Windows Media Player. In December Microsoft lost an appeal to the European Court of the First Instance and promised to ship WMP-less Windows in the EU "in January". Now we learn that OEMs will be able to receive WMP-less Windows "within the next few weeks".

Full Report :- The Register

Would you prefer Windows without media player ?
Is it a good thing for competition for the European Market ?

Personally speaking I think its fantastic that Europe has placed some control on Microsoft expecially considering how much was promised from America and how little was actually delivered on this matter.
The removal of media player from Windows allows the user to choose what applications they wish to use with regards to media.
Hopefully we we now start to see some exciting new technologys and applications, improvements in streaming along with better codecs.. expecially from smaller companys
Obviously Media Player is still available as a download, however like a burger resturant I now have the choice of taking the unhealthy option which im used to or an alternative... rather than getting it forced down me

Its good for all.. IMHO

Winamp kicks the llama's a....er n/m

I can definately live with the loss of media player.

I personally love WMP, never really liked winamp. Personally I'd like a stripped down version of WMP that only plays music. That's all I use it for mainly because it can be mimized into the toolbar.

I really enjoy Using WMP, The loss would require me to install something else I like downloading updates from one source. I'm sure MS wont suport updates for other media players at WindowsUpdate.

that said, I do use Power DVD to watch Movies that I have yet to rip to my hard drive. I have both quick time Alternative, and real player Alternative so I can view both file types in WMP. I would need another player that can suport Alternative codecs.

I use WMP10 just for the icon it assigns to it's files. But double clicking a media file brings up WMP Classic with all my lovely codecs.

I use media player classic for everything, I like it more than anything else out there. A stripped WMP sounds good too.

WinAMP and MPC baby! :attn:

w/ nLite, I think you can remove WMP out of XP installs... though I haven't used it extensively enough to know first hand.

i dont mind media player - once i install windows i go to the sysoc.ini and unhide media player and uninstall it completly from my system - then i go and download the full media player 10.

You can uninstall Media player from windows - they just dont make it an option unless u edit one .ini file - i think microsoft SHOULD be able to ship windows with their own players since it is THEIR o/s - you dont force BMW to buy Honda parts for their cars do you?

So now, will you still be able to buy a version of windows WITH media player? if not i think this would upset alot of people who do like WMP.

I don't use WMP much, unless it is for realplayer content. Real Player is worse IMO. I like some of the features of the media player. If there was was a way for it not to highjack the system as much, and be alot more customizable. I wouldnt have no gripes about it. I use a 3rd party player to thwart that complaint.
I do enjoy having it as a backup player already installed on the OS if need be. I have the opinion of letting users opt out of component installations during the install of windows though, of just more than WMP. Not jumping through hoops after the OS is loaded or third party programs to remaster the install. I am curious how sound files for system events are going to be handled if they remove WMP.

Mr.Guvernment said:
So now, will you still be able to buy a version of windows WITH media player? if not i think this would upset alot of people who do like WMP.

You will be able to obtain media player though a download, however its not installed on the system as default.. the question is do you see having the choice as a good thing?

Would you feel the same if they took Explorer out of Windows... would it be nice to have choose what browser you use ?

UnseenMenace,

Do you mean Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer? I think Windows Explorer is one its best assests. To me there is nothing wrong (minus some flaws) with Internet Explorer, I still use it for specific puposes. I use Gecko based broswers for most my needs though, for the "toys" it offers.

From my understanding, ONLY Europe will get the WMP-less Windows XP, so North Americans still will have it shipped by default, but I bet there will be a option to remove WMP in the add remove windows components section to keep from being forced to remove WMP from NorthAmerican WinXP's

the entire verdict against M$ was a victory for M$. It didn't address the heart of the problem all it did was fine M$ a minute sum of money and made em release another version of windows. So no I don't want this new version its just a sign of M$'s ability to buy their way out of everything.

I'd like a choice on wether or not I personally want it installed, and how much of it I want installed. But, for systems I preinstall, I'd prefer it was installed by default. I have no problems using it, not sure about WMP10 though, I really haven't played with it too much.

I like WMP for ripping music, streaming content (sometimes), and watching DVDs. However I feel WMP is WAY to bloated and slow for just playing music or something like that. I use Itunes for that. Winamp I do have to say sucks, along with realplayer and Musicmatch jukebox. I like having WMP installed along with my OS. That way if I need a media player I can have it right away and don't have to go download varius 3rd party players. However if I want to I can. Its a nice tool to have....

Back