• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD burner that burns images to the surface?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rutkus

I remember seeing an advertisement on TV about a DVD burner that burned a DVD and on the top surface would burn an image to it. does anyone know the name of the burner or can you link me to it?

I think it might have been HP. Something called LightScribe or something? I remember seeing it in one of their tv ads. Not sure how it works.

Dc5e said:
I think it might have been HP. Something called LightScribe or something? I remember seeing it in one of their tv ads. Not sure how it works.

Lightscribe

Dc5e said:
Not sure how it works.

JUST HOW DOES IT WORK?

How can you burn a label onto your disc right from your computer? Suppose you have just created a music CD of your favorite songs. Now you want to make a label that contains the song titles, artists' names, and some personal information and design elements to make it special.

Burn your tracks onto the data side of the disc. Flip the disc over to the label side and put it back in the drive. Burn your label by opening your favorite LightScribe-enabled label-making software and going to the CD template work area. Now you do all of your creative design work-imported pictures, copy, and artwork. When you are satisfied with what you have done, click "print." It really is that simple! No ink, no messy markers, no clumpy adhesive labels . just an amazingly beautiful label right before your eyes.

It seems like HP has gotten their hands on it for now, but I'm sure a consumer version will pop up shortly. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the price to drop, as I think it is a really cool idea. The thing I'm worried about though is overpriced media.

Michael

The yamaha burners are much different. They burn the image from the bottom up, and so you can only put images on the unused portion of teh discs.

So as you can imagine, you either have a nearly full disc with a narrow border around the edge, or a beautiful disc filled with an image which only serves as a useless coaster...

Yamaha crw f1, had this feature, but Yamaha purely failed on the market, with this drive.Just curious if HP makes their own drives, or they repack from someone else.
Thanks

Last edited:
*sigh*
no. N O. They are two totally different things. Yamaha never had a recorder that could do this. The hp system creates an image on the top side of the disc, by burning the thin top dye layer, regardless of the data side of the disc. The yamaha recorder burns through the data portion and creates an image visible on the top. With that system, you can only create images that are parts of the data portion of the disc which will not be used. So really its just a novelty. On the hp recorder you can cover the entire top without messing around with the data, however you have to use special lightscribe discs which have this compatible top dye layer.

Back