• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help: computer not booting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Radar

I'm servicing a computer for a freind of my parents and I just finished cleaning and reassembling it. When I first plugged it in and turned it on (without any other cables) it turned on for a split second and then nothing... Then, when I switched outlets it would turn on, but do nothing. I unplugged my main rig and plugged the monitor and keyboard and stuff into it, turned it on, and I get... nothing. No beeps, no video, no nothing. (Since it's a name-brand computer it unfortuneatly doesn't have any diagnostic lights). The system seems to be getting power just fine (all the fans spin (except the PSU one, though I think it's thermally controlled) and the ethernet port and power buttons light up) but it does absolutely nothing, even when I take all the RAM out of it. Anyone have any clues? Could I have killed it by cleaning it with wet Q-Tips (even though I let it dry for 24+ hours before plugging it back in)? Thanks in advance for all your help!

EDIT: I just tired turning it on again (this time to measure the voltage rails) and I got three short beeps. Anyone know what this means? (It's a Socket A and has a VIA chipset, I don't know the BIOS vendor).

Last edited:
ya i think its the same problem that my friends had b4 its probably the processor try taking the procc out and blowing some air on it with a air can or something only air dont touch it or if that doesn't work the procc is probably damaged

Back