• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chronological Dual CPU Mobo list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Can anyone provide me with some sort of list of dual cpu mobos maybe starting with the AMD K6? If they ever existed that is, ill be googling some stuff on this but help would be appreciated. Im not necassairly looking for an assortment of mobos from each generation, just a summation of what was probably good. :)

I cant say for most duals overall, but I can give you at least minor info on the AMD MPX chipset. [urhttp://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=89236]All boards[/url] are listed there. There is a good chance those links are no longer any good, but the makes and models are there. Wish I could tell you more about the Opteron duals but I havent looked into those too much. Out of my price range.

As for Intel, heh, well those are out of my price range too. Im sure someone with info on those 2 different styles could post up for yea.

the K7D master L is a good AMD XP/MP board as for intell right now there is the ncch-dl , pc-dl, and i cant remember the other i think it is somthing like DH800 that are good OC dual boards there may be some other but those are the 3 i have heard good things about

Helgaiden said:
Can anyone provide me with some sort of list of dual cpu mobos maybe starting with the AMD K6?
I guess you mean the AMD K7 such as the MSI K7D Master L Rpkole mentioned. But I don't understand what you want. AMD only? MP/MPX AMD only? Anything since the AMD MP/MPX?

And right now Intel Xeons using the D1 Stepping 1.6 LVs which OC to 3 GHz+ are really cheap. Around $110 shipped for a pair of them as opposed to $900 for a pair of similarly performing 2 GHz Opteron 246s. Here's some duallie motherboards I've used and can recommend:

AMD MPX
Asus A7M266D Rev 1.04
MSI K7D Master L
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P(+)

AMD 940 Dual Opteron
MSI K8T Master2 FAR

Intel Dual Xeon
Asus PC-DL

Well i was specifically interested in K6 because i have a k6-2 500mhz chip sittin around but there isnt any dual mobos for that so whatever lol. my friends and I want to throw together a cheap (but alright) system to host our dedicated server games. Old stuff is cheap and so are we, lol, so thats mainly what we're interested in (the games are small usually, 8 player max)

I was also interested in pentium pros and pentium II xeons as something to work with.

There are NO dual CPU boards for any AMD processors Prior to the MP chip..

Tebore said:
AMD K6 Era of chips were not SMP capable they worked in SOME dual S7 boards but only in Single CPU mode never in SMP.

The CPU themselves just didn't have the logic built in.

Actually from the K-6 to present all AMD chips are glueless,Meaning they are able to run in a 2cpu enviroment.....

The issue with the K-6 was, as processors go at that time nothing special and not worth making a dual bord for it. Untill the Athlon, AMD really had nothing to offer the server market.And thats when they developed the MP chipset know today ....

Tebore said:
So you're saying I can use K6-2 500s in a dual CPU board and get SMP?

Yep..But foirst you have to manufacture a board for them LOL...

Actually, I have a dual Socket 7 Board.....

the other socket isn't on, but if you have l337 sodering skills, you could pull it off

diehrd said:
Yep..But foirst you have to manufacture a board for them LOL...

I was always under the impression that you couldn't because they just didn't have the circuitry in them. I tried to put some K6s in an SMP board and it didn't work. I looked around and found that they just weren't SMP enabled.

DaveB said:
I guess you mean the AMD K7 such as the MSI K7D Master L Rpkole mentioned. But I don't understand what you want. AMD only? MP/MPX AMD only? Anything since the AMD MP/MPX?

And right now Intel Xeons using the D1 Stepping 1.6 LVs which OC to 3 GHz+ are really cheap. Around $110 shipped for a pair of them as opposed to $900 for a pair of similarly performing 2 GHz Opteron 246s. Here's some duallie motherboards I've used and can recommend:

AMD MPX
Asus A7M266D Rev 1.04
MSI K7D Master L
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P(+)

AMD 940 Dual Opteron
MSI K8T Master2 FAR

Intel Dual Xeon
Asus PC-DL

Please show us where the 2x1.6 Zenons for $110. :D :bday: :D And they would go in the Asus PC-DL?

krag said:
Please show us where the 2x1.6 Zenons for $110. :D :bday: :D And they would go in the Asus PC-DL?
Dave's built three of the PC-DL Xeon duallies. The last one was under $600. So why settle for MPX when you can have a 3GHz Xeon duallie.

Back