• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network problem--machine refuses to renew/release IP via DHCP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satyrist

I'm currently having a problem with one of my machines refusing to get onto the internet/network, and I'm not so sure that it's a simple hardware problem.

Hardware specs:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
1 GB Micron Ballistix PC3200
FIC Radeon 9700
using onboard sound and network
Pioneer 16X DVD
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM 2MB cache HDD
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
NVidia NForce drivers 4.27 certified

Earlier tonight I saw that throughput with the onboard nic was getting very sluggish, where other machines on my network (connected via a smoothwall server with DHCP enabled) had no such problems....I tried uninstalling the network card (drivers, and remove hardware wizard) and as a result, upon reboot, I keep getting the default autoconfig ip address (169.254.10.127), and here is the error messages I get through a command window:

Attempting to ipconfig /renew: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Attempting to ipconfig /release: All adapters bound to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses. The addresses were automatically configured and cannot be released.

I have even gone so far as to disable the onboard NIC and use a spare Intel 10/100 adapter instead, I get the same results.

It's beginning to look like another wipe/install ATM, I had this same problem with the same rig about 6 months back, and even attempting to do a repair install came to no avail.

It can't be the DHCP server, all the other machines on the network are operating without issue. I have also tried forcing the machine to a static IP address/subnet, no luck.

I have also attempted moving between ports on the switch connected to the firewall, and changing cables, to no avail.

Any suggestions here? It's not the end of the world if it gets wiped again, but I'm at a loss as to what the problem is here...Would I possibly solve it by installing XP Home if I do have to?

Thanks.

Back