• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble shoot my optical drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbaerg

Registered
Ahoy Dudes,
My cd r/w drive has apparently stopped working. here are the symptoms:

If I have disc inserted during boot, BIOS will hang for about 6 seconds.
When windows has loaded to desktop, if disc is inserted I get a continuous read light on the front bezel.
If I try to navigate to the disc in windows or any other program, it does not detect the disc.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive and the drivers without any luck. The only thing I can think of that would have caused this is I recently started using a virtual drive from Alcohol 120%, but disabling that didn't help either. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Tom

Try subtotal's suggestions then if the drive still does not work, try it in another system. If it works in the other system (install it, boot Windows, usually reboot after it detects it), you know it's most likely not a faulty drive.

Keep us updated. :)

i had a faulty drive once..i ripped it open and discovered the problem was that the laser sensor thingy got stuck on the inner part of the disc reading place...the little engine that moves the eye closer or farther away from the cd's middle got jammed because it went too close to the middle...it was weird but the drive was dismantled ummm too thoroughly so it couldnt work again...
how old is the drive?

Back