• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] New Standard Keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

slashdot:

http://www.tech-blog.org/story-2786.html

I hope it comes in more colors then that!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| New Standard Keyboard |
| from the learn-to-type-again dept. |
| posted by samzenpus on Monday January 24, @23:06 (Technology) |
| http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/0019242 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

An anonymous reader writes "There are two keyboard standards today - QWERTY and DVORAK. QWERTY, the one we usually have, was used on the first commercially produced typewriter in 1873. Ironically, QWERTY was actually designed to slow down the typist to prevent jamming the keys, and we've been stuck with that layout since. [0]New Standard Keyboards offers new "alphabetical" keyboard. This keyboard has just 53-keys (instead of 101) and offers user-friendly benefits and quick data entry."

Discuss this story at:
http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=05/01/25/0019242

Links:
0. http://www.tech-blog.org/story-2786.html

Seems kind of pointless to make a new standard for keyboards. The keys may be layed out funny, but changing them would just be a bad idea. That would be like making a guitar with the strings flipped. We've used this layout for such along time, what's the point in changing it? Seems to me the only reason they released this was to pamper the whiners that don't want to take the time to learn how to type.

If people want to use it, I say go for it. No reason we can't have an alternatve layout that might make some people more comfortable.

I will never switch to it of course; I've been a touch typist for years and couldn't (or wouldn't) want to learn a new keyboard layout.

I cannot see how an alphabetical keyboard could improve anything for any but those who have never used a keyboard before. I doubt this will catch on any time soon, if ever. They claimed advantages...but did they mention any? Shift key is in the same place, and keys are alphabetical for idiots... but they don't use pc's much.

yeah, it's like the system we use for time; 60s, 60m, 24h. considering how widely the metric system is used it doesn't make sense to keep it; however it's simply to difficult to change it at this point

Dreamstalker said:
First thought upon seeing the pic: "Oh how cute. Fisher-Price finally made 'My First Keyboard'." :p

MUAHAHAHHA - i was thinking the same thing.

I am sure this wont be an instant hit - but if the claims of it being much faster and more efficient - i can only imagine say 5 years down the road when places start to sell these as standards and the ones we use today as hard to find.... Imagine someone who can type 100 words per min now - go to one of those and watch them drop to like 10 word per minute :D

It is the same with anything that changes - at first people wont accept it because they are "used" to something - but give it time and it will cartch on.

I realize this, but I do not see any advantages to this design as of yet, other than the keys feel nice. Can someone point out what it does to improve our typing?

to me this will take longer to learn then it will be worth and who cares if it is inneficient i dont "hunt and peck" like the people he was talking about i can type without looking at the keyboard...

what a bunch of useless garbage, I hope that this guys supposed better keyboard hits rock bottom in a big ball of flames...

waste of manufacturing material...

[/endrant]

The New Standard Keyboard also eliminates the “typing on concrete” feel experienced on many laptops and the “mushy” feel of some desktop keyboards. Parkinson’s design uses a new, short-travel key (2mm) that has its snap point very early in the travel distance to produce a positive click action with minimal finger movement while still providing a softer feel.

That is something I look for in a keyboard. :thup:

But an electrical engineer who also holds a degree in psychology with an emphasis on industrial psychology and ergonomics should have got the key heights and shapes right, when we've seen so much regression in recent years. The rows should be at different heights, such that the home row is lowest. Keys should be cupped on top. The cupping on any given row should incline slightly towards the home row, proportional to its distance from. That was perfected a long time ago, and now lately abandoned to cut costs. His keyboard was designed in two dimensions, I think.

Daewood said:
to me this will take longer to learn then it will be worth and who cares if it is inneficient i dont "hunt and peck" like the people he was talking about i can type without looking at the keyboard...

what a bunch of useless garbage, I hope that this guys supposed better keyboard hits rock bottom in a big ball of flames...

waste of manufacturing material...

[/endrant]

Very nice dude.

I think it's a good idea though, especially for those who haven't used a computer before. As a standard, I think it has a fair chance. I don't think it will be too complicated to learn two different keyboard layouts, granted one may type slower overall due to having to remember where the keys are.

Good idea though. :thup: Don't cry over it. :)

Lol, it does look like a toy, and besides I don't think everyone could be bothered changing there binding configs for CS to accomadate it... :)

MonroeM said:
Very nice dude.

I think it's a good idea though, especially for those who haven't used a computer before. As a standard, I think it has a fair chance. I don't think it will be too complicated to learn two different keyboard layouts, granted one may type slower overall due to having to remember where the keys are.

Good idea though. :thup: Don't cry over it. :)

yes for people being "new" to a computer this will be very good - and as for laptop keys - mine dont feel like concrete my dell inspiron they are nice and soft and smooth.

Well, it probably is a better keyboard, and we've only ourselves to blame for resisting it.

In typing competitions where Dvorak keyboards are allowed, the Dvorak typists win. No doubt this new keyboard would beat all. I'm afraid we can't allow that.

LOL Sean.

I think it will do well and I don't think Dvorak keyboards will be going anywhere for a while. What will most likely happen is the new standard will slowly phase the Dvoraks out. Real slow, as I'm sure there are plenty of professionals who will refuse to switch.

I think the best way to integrate the new standard will be if many companies require the new standard when hiring employees who use computers on a daily basis.

Back