• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often should you replace your Thermal Paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckDodgers

I was wondering if Thernal Paste has a life expectency. Should you refresh it at any time other then when you remove the Heatsink?

Did a search and could not find where this has been addressed.

It's a known fact that thermal paste dries out over time from the heat. I like to replace mine at least every 6 months. But, you can probably get by up to a year if your temps are low and if you aren't pushing a max O/C.

Hmm, I had a system recently go down. So, was one of those "what the hell do I try first" kinda evening for me. I was getting a error from the Monitor of "No Signal". Had used the system that morning. After, clearing the CMOS result same error. Clear CMOS change the AGP card result same error. I go pull another system and try swapping the CPU on a lessor system. Clear CMOS CPU runs i'm in the BIOS. Try lessor system CPU in problem system, clear CMOS it too runs i'm in the BIOS. Put both CPU's back into home case. I'm up running on it again!

I think your right about the Thermo Paste dries over time. That CPU sat on the MB for 6 months before I gave it a case and other extra tid bits around. I found some cheap paste was used "white". So on final CPU's install back in each's home case. I used Arctic Silver 5 on them both. Atleast I hope that "No Signal" error doesn't come back.

HI, just recently I swapped my CPU that has been working for 3 years without problem, and the ASII stuff was as good as new (i.e did not dry at all), so my guess is that you can not generalize... it depends on the compound used.. my suggestion is .. keep an eye on temps, and if things don't get worse, just don't worry about it and leave your goop alone.

ive been using the the pad that came with the stock heatsink on my t-bird for over 3 years now and im still getting great temps :clap:

I've pulled overclock systems apart after a year and the thermal paste is a dry powder. Obviously how much it dries up depends on many factors, like the amount of time the computer runs, operating temps, etc. I'm sure some types of thermal paste hold up longer than others. Do a search on the subject if you need more info.

Every time you remove the Heatsink or waterclock you should clean the old paste and reapply.

I think every six months is good. Every so often you should do some maintnence on your PC. Cleaning dust off, ect, and include changing the paste too.

Back