• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnets, Cases, and HD's! AHHH!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

OK, i was just looking through the inards of my computer...and was looking at the little speaker(MAGNET!) that goes BEEP when u turn on the comp, or when the CPU over heats...i look about 3 inches above it, and realize my HD is RIGHT THERE! :eek: :eek: ! wow im so glad i didnt put that HD any closer down, or I would have been in trouble, i built the comp back in October. Anyway, i CAREFULLY removed the speaker from where it was and moved it over beside the PCI slots...and stuck it to the side of the case via the magnet. anyway, i can believe AMS would be that dumb to put a magnet right near the HD rack :mad: :mad: :mad: . Just glad i didnt break ne thing...yet...as in im gonna do a few disk checks in a minute. cya

PS. this post was about different hardwares so i put it in General Hardware, if any mods see it fit to move it, then move it.

If you ever open a HD up, you will find 2 of the strongest magnets right next to the platters. In todays current HDs, you dont need to wory much about magnets getting too close.

Yup that little thing is not to worry about. Maybe a 60-80lb magnet might be something to worry about but til then that little thing won't harm the drive. Nothing in a typical computer will harm it.

lol! the magnets inside of HD's are REALLY powerul, i have a few from old ones i broke open, and that little speaker doesnt even come close to being as powerful. you have NOTHING to worry about.

I think hes stuck on the mode that magnets will corrupt the data. Which is true, but think in larger masses. I have a pc speaker no more than an inch away from my bottom drive, no problems.

i had a hard drive sitting just above the magnet you speak of for quite a while. now my hard drives sit right above my magnet driven water pump. i use magnetic screw drivers in my case cause i hate dropping screws.

dont worry, its fine

Slackfumasta said:
I used to think it was funny when customers would freak out when I put a magnetic screwdriver into their computers :)

Hehe thats when you say when they are watching you repair it, oh no. Wrong screw driver, hope it didn't do anything.

oooh thanks all...didnt know it took strong azz magnets these days...now i feel much better! thanks again every one

NP thats what we are here for, besides to kill some time when we are at work :)

I remember when I first picked up my old speakers. Didn't realise they wern't magneticly sheilded. Set up up either side of my CRT turned it on and it was totally pink! :) But it wasnt permenantly harmed so :beer:

wow, i thought i was also screwed at first.. i made a ghetto hard drive rack out of cardboard and wood just so i can move them by the intake fan and i made the rack rest on top of the little magnet/speaker thingy

Back