• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It has begun...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

Well, it's begun...my mass acquiring of various parts (some working, some non) with the hopeful end result of a small SETI farm. Just got three Intel mobos (one "Overdrive", one socket 7 and one Dell w/SB soundcard), a dozen Intel CPUs and various fans/heatsinks off ebay for $12 shipped. Seller says that as far as he knows, the mobos work; the CPUs are all older ones (486, P75, P233) so those may end up going into the "mini-museum" I have here and/or being made into keychains :D (I have no way of testing them anyway)

Not sure if the Dell mobo would require a Dell PSU or not...

I can probably pick up cases from Goodwill or someplace like that; the one around me still has computers.

Does seti have a "work unit time expiration time" thingy like folding does? In folding, I don't think a P1 could get a work unit done before time ran out, and/or wouldn't be worth the power it took.

If you're looking for something compact and consistent, you might want to try looking on ebay for some single board computers. You could have several of them in the same case, and they're pretty cheap if you shop around a bit. This is what I plan to do eventually for clustering purposes.

Back