• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 and AMD mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

I notice that Amd mobos do not support ddr2. Should i worry about upgrading to a pci-e mobco and 939pin processor with my same ddr ram? Or just buy really fast ddr ram, but then would it be a waste of money because they will have mobos for ddr2 ram?

I don't expect to see DDR2 support from AMD anytime soon. Perhaps they'll just wait for DDR3 or whatever the next big thing is going to be.

The memory controller is on-die, which means that AMD is stuck with DDR1 for yet some time. AFAIK changing to DDR2 would require new sockets as well.

If it wasn't for the integrated memory controller, this "upgrade" would have been a lot easier, as it would depend on the chipset and not the CPU.

I wouldn't have any worries about upgrading to s 939 and keep your current RAM.

I imagine they could imploy a ddr - ddr 2 bridge chip of some sort in the future, but i dont see this being ecconomical. it would require a new socket to use ddr 2 and that isnt on the amd roadmap. so i wouldnt expect anything from the amd camp on that.
just get some good pc3200 or faster and see what happens. they will only get better as we are now seeing ddr 600 modules rated 2.5-4-4. this year might be very good for us ;)

Back