• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's the chance of grabbing 2 stick of RAM that can do dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

say if i go to a retail store BB, CC, fry, what ever, and buy 2 stick of RAM (2 seperate stick, same manufacture, same item #, same model, same size (512). What is the likely hood of me able to get it to work in dual channel? i know that the fry around me sales alot of memeory, so they normally order in large batch, and it's mostlikely that the memeory that i'm picking up on the same day is probably in the same batch lol, so i'm just wondering because they sale dual channel sticks for very expensive.

2 sticks, same manufacturer, same item #, same model, same size

Should have no trouble at all doing dual channel.

warlock110 said:
so i'm just wondering because they sale dual channel sticks for very expensive.

if he's selling actuall sticks of ram as "Dual Channel", i'd report him to the Better Business Buereu(sp?) (in canada probably dif in the states), as the one sticky said, "there is no such thing as dual channel ram" it's a feature of the mobo. Sounds like he's tryin to make a quick buck off uneducated patrons, which is wrong, you go to the store to ask advice, not be ripped off right?

He could be selling them as "Matched Pair" like corsair does that have been tested and garaunteed to work for dual channel setups, in that case.. ignore what i said before..

Dual channel just requires two sticks that are the same in terms of specs, and preferably identical. The dual channel kits consist of RAM that has been tested together and is guaranteed to work in dual channel.

See sig for info. And yes they are stable even though I have no idea why. Running on 2.75V.

Attachments

• dual channel 200fsb 2.jpg
    dual channel 200fsb 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 117
In theory, an two sticks of ram with identical size should work together, with the faster stick defaulting to the slower stick's speeds... in reality that is different. Dual Channel kits are just gaurenteed to work together.

~t0m

i had a stick of crucial and a stick of samsung and they worked in dual channel even though i bought them more than a year apart...

To be more specific, so long as they can run at the same speed with the same timings and voltage you can run DC. Because of this i can bet 100% that it will do DC, maybe not well, but it WILL work in dc.

Back