• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking snowboarders unite!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
I have seen an absolute ton of fellow snowboarders sneaking around on these forums (you know who you are!), and wanted to make a thread here, for us all to swap stories and talk about the best sport in the world and such.

It would be cool for each person to post their location, and home mountain/hill, get an idea of just how deeply imbedded into the scene we oc-forums snowboarders are as a group :D

Anyhow, I'm located in Toronto, and mostly ride at Blue Mountain, and Mt. St. Louis Moonstone (smallish local "hills").

This is my sixth year riding, I teach for a snowboard school (fun job :)) on weekends, and have been getting pretty hardcore into the sport recently, going to the hill at least twice a week.

I'm wondering how many others of us there are, in particular any pro/semi-pro riders who also overclock :)

Well, post here if you ride :beer:

Alright Ian I will do my part here :D.

I am in the Edmonton area here, so Marmot and Sunshine/Lake Louise are pretty close to us. I think this is my 6th year as well and I go as often as I can between work and University.

I enjoy free-riding a lot but I will screw around in the park and pipe once in a while. The pipe however is what really screwed me over last year (broke my collar-bone), I attempted a back-flip and well kinda lost my orientation and ended up in a lot of pain :-/.

I got a new board and binding's this year and they are pretty dope. Decided to go full burton and picked up a Burton Baron 162 and some Burton El Habano Cartel's to go along with them :D. I know some people have a problem with Burton but I mean there is a reason they are the biggest company around (it didnt happen by accident). Also just using an old pair of Thirty-Two boots which I want to upgrade this summer.

Ok guys/girls dont be shy, I also want to see how big this post can get :).

My local area isn't the hottest compared to you guys, but I lived in Montana for some time and if it's there, i've ground edge on it. Oh, steamboat too.

7th year

I ski (fat twin tips, so thats almost like two snowboards at once :D )

Im in colorado springs, so I have day drive acess to: Breckenridge, keystone, arapahoe basin, loveland, winterpark, vail, beaver creek, copper mountain, and monarch. Plenty of back country too!

This is basically my second serious season (10th in an absolute sense). I got about 5 days a seson before that, now- 40-50.

Im just now getting into the park, it would be great if not for the gaggle of 14 year old gapers watching you at all time.
Big mountain is where its at :sn:

I got a new board and binding's this year and they are pretty dope. Decided to go full burton and picked up a Burton Baron 162 and some Burton El Habano Cartel's to go along with them . I know some people have a problem with Burton but I mean there is a reason they are the biggest company around (it didnt happen by accident). Also just using an old pair of Thirty-Two boots which I want to upgrade this summer.

Wow, very nice kit - you lucky devil :). ThirtyTwo is right up there on my boot list; they make some really high-quality stuff.

People who have gripes with Burton equiptment haven't ridden it; I used to hate Burton just for being a big company, but then I demoed a few of their boards, and was impressed consistantly with their offerings.

My kit is getting pretty old and worn out, I'm still riding on a 2003 Option Freeplus 160, Drake F60s, and really beaten up and grimy Salomon Maori boots. The deck is in great shape though, I've really doted on it :). I was going to pick up some Burton Driver-X boots this year, but everyone sold out before I could grab a pair.

Can skiiers post? I don't have a problem with boarders

Two plankers are welcome to join in on the fun as well, if they can stand us ;)

I enjoy free-riding a lot but I will screw around in the park and pipe once in a while. The pipe however is what really screwed me over last year (broke my collar-bone), I attempted a back-flip and well kinda lost my orientation and ended up in a lot of pain .

I couldn't land a backflip either, if my life depended on it. I mostly free-ride as well, but started riding pipe this year - been messing around in the park for a while.

As far as injuries go, I'm finally back on my feet after spraining both ankles and am going riding this weekend. It sucks to be bedridden - a broken collarbone would really ruin your season.

This is basically my second serious season (10th in an absolute sense). I got about 5 days a seson before that, now- 40-50.

Im just now getting into the park, it would be great if not for the gaggle of 14 year old gapers watching you at all time.
Big mountain is where its at

Yeah, parks seem to always be full of kids, makes you feel really self-conscious. It makes it hard to learn, always having a crowd see your every mistake and fall.

I've never been backcountry riding, although I have my ambitions :). Biggest mountain I've been on would be Tremblant.

felinusz said:
My kit is getting pretty old and worn out, I'm still riding on a 2003 Option Freeplus 160, Drake F60s, and really beaten up and grimy Salomon Maori boots. The deck is in great shape though, I've really doted on it :).

My first board ever was a Option Jay Nelson Pro model 1998. I realize now that I should not of bought that board to learn on but I worked at a mountainbike shop that started selling snowboard stuff in the winter so I got a wicked deal on it. I was looking at them again this year for my new board, gotta love those Canadian companies that make their own boards :D.

<<< Me snowboard what are you talkin about... *whisper* you avatar*whisper* oh...heh.

Loction: seattle, wa
Moutain: crystal, mt.baker, stevens pass, snoqualmy(worst spelling ever I know)
How much I get out: once every weekend I try....but this year no snow lol... well little snow.
how long: 7 or 8 years been to long
how good: double black - back country

Just got back home from a day on the hill :)

The Pipe at Mt St Louis was absolutely pristine today, gonna go back for more tommorrow :D. Just hope the weather holds.

gotta love those Canadian companies that make their own boards .

My Beutiful big black Option got knicked today :(. Some guy crashed me while I was teaching, and hooked a big chunk of Laminate off of my board. I got the chunk back, I'm just praying that I'll be able to epoxy it back on cleanly. The last thing I need is water under the laminate, and a destroyed deck :(

Lansing, Michigan. I enjoy Nubs Nob, Crystal Mountain and Caberfae the most. Cannonsburg and Bittersweet are closer though. I've been riding 6 years, but don't usually get too many days in.

Just got a new board for christmas, and I LOVE it. Capita Totally Awesome 157.

-CPFitz-

Surely there are yet more of us hidden among the ranks of ocforums members :)

Boards of Choice: Salomon DT-52 Wide Width Pro Edition/Rossignol Pro Race VAS.
Mtn of Choice: Stratton Mtn, Vermont.
Years of Riding: 2005 started my 18th year of snowboarding.
First Board: Burton ELITE (yes... the one with the fin and wedge, velcro bindings.)
Past Sponsors: Apocalype Snowboards, Arnette Optical, Sartorious Sports, Fatty's Snowboards, Quicksilver (most were short time. hard to get sponsors)
Best Riding Experiences: 1: Trip to Val Thorens in France on the Italian border. There is nothing like snowboarding in the French Alps one day, then going off the backside of the mtn and ending up in Italy. 2: Trip to Copper Mtn, Colorado during Spring Break 2004. That was when the mtns by Denver got a 5-6 ft dump of snow in 3 days. Got stranded in a hotel across the street from Copper Mtn, and boarded for 5 days until the passes in the mtns opened back up.
Current Skill: I dont like to talk about my skill level above others, but lets just leave it as I'm good enough to get and keep a sponsor for competition in Race and Freestyle events.
Style of Choice: Basically a freecarver at heart. I ride my Salomon DT52 WW like a raceboard. It's wide enough and forgiving enough to let me rail down the hill at full speed and euro carving myself right onto the snow. There is nothing like the feeling of leaning yourself so far over onto the snow that you are only being supported by inertia and the palm of one hand. If I really want to tear up the mtn, I bring out my Rossignol Pro Edition Race VAS 159 and put some scars down in the snow.

Woohoo!
Glad to see this.

I'll go with a basic summary

Location: Los Angeles, usually hit up Mammoth or Bear Mountain in Big Bear

Board of Choice: Arbor Crossbow 2005 with Technine Dominator bindings and Northwave boots

Mtn. of Choice: Mammoth for most of it, Bear for park

First Board: Solomon Driver 140

Sponsors: Unofficially sponsored by Red Bull (I still buy their stuff)
Best Riding Experiences: Every time I go. I do something new. Plus I usually enjoy time with friends.

Current Skill:Hmmm...I'm alright. Working on building up confidence on bigger and bigger stuff. I can hit most small boxes, getting close to clearing some big tabletops, etc.

Footing: Regular

Style of Choice: My crossbow likes to do everything. It's long enough for big-mountain, designed for speed, and pretty much a ton of fun to ride onto the park. I could use some more teaching, but I have a pretty unique style on the mountain I'd say.

I'll post some pics later of my recent Mammoth trip.
I really hope I can go up there soon, hopefully if it's colder and there's a bit more snow.

The pipe at mammoth was sorta nasty when I went. 2 plankers yellowed the family fun pipe, which I NEARLY got out of, and the super-duper pipe was really really icy and nasty. I guess they cut it after I left.

You better get used to having people watch you in the park. I personally enjoy when people on the lifts are like "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT" when you're sitting at the base of a jump or rail, and you do something on it and they give you that "w00t!" sort of cheer. Makes you feel good and boosts the confidence level.

Then again, when you fall...
But remember, trying something and screwing up is better than just riding by.

A few notes for 2 plankers:

1) Do not cut in front of a snowboarder, regardless of it you're in control or not. It takes snowboarders a lot longer to stop from full speed bombing, so you're putting yourself at risk. This applies to snowplowers (1 plankers) as well. I put a nasty nick in my very expensive setup because of these people. I'm not really happy with you.

2) Don't go in the park if you can't do anything. The park is not a blue that you wish to go down. It is a park. So stay out if you're not going to hit anything. There are other runs around it.

3) Be considerate. I've had skiiers pretty much roll over jumps all day, ruining the lip and making me irate with impatience. If you see people sitting there, they are waiting for a break in skiier traffic so that they can hit the jump clean. Don't mess with this.

4) If you fall, get the hell out of the way. I've had friends literally stomp on little kids cause they just fell on the jump and sat there. Get out of the way so other people can get a turn, or haul your n00b arse over to the side of the run.

5) Be considerate on the lifts. Snowboarders have trouble getting out of lifts not really designed with them in mind, especially on non-detachables. Don't whack me with your poles, or I'm going to be angry.

6) Note that our styles are completely different. While you can easily control yourself going straight down the hill, it takes some turning for snowboarders. With this in mind, don't cut straight in front of boarders while they're turning, mainly because sometimes they can't see you, and a skiier shooting past them isn't exactly safe either.

7) One thing to note if you're a 2 planker with a 1 planker friend: Realize we have to do more work with the legs, and have to strap in. Snowboarders are usually tired as a result. So going 5 straight runs down something steep isn't exactly easy.

Pics soon.
If any of you are in the LA area, let me know.

Maryland boarder here :D. just freeride most of the time, and i try to go riding every weekend. current skill, well im confident enough that i can go down a single black diamond run.

went to a park a week ago, im loving it. just doing some jumps, a bit of rails. just starting small for now. currently looking for used freestyle board coz i dont feel comfortable riding rails with my Rome Anthem :p, its too nice hahahaha.....

planning to go to Killington on Spring Break with a few friends of mine, should be fun :D.

Hey Bleed, glad to see another O/Snowboarder here.

A few tips for going big on jumps and rails from my own personal experience:

1) Get your angles right. NOTHING will start you off on a potentially bad streak than going off a jump crooked or getting onto a 50-50 on a rail sorta sideways. You're GOING to have to straighten out, as tough as it may be.

2) Speed is your friend. I know it might seem sorta scary at first, but I can clear MOST small tabletops now that I get enough speed. Just remember to ollie, keep your balance, and BEND YOUR KNEES when you land.

3) Don't turn on rails. I tried this when I was new to the park. Boxes were hard cause I kept on falling off. The best advice is NOT to turn, because this will just push you further off balance. Just try to keep it straight if you're 50-50ing, or if you're about to go off, just drop off the thing.

If you're looking for a good freestyle board, I have to say that the Arbor Mystic is pretty nice. It depends on your budget. There are a few good choices for cheap (Capita board for $150 that you can completely trash and not feel bad about it), but I'd go with something midrange, and a bit shorter.

Hey, our numbers grow :).

We need some pictures in here.... I'll try to borrow a camera, and see what I can do this weekend.

Another tip for rails, and just riding in general - grind your base edge to an 88 degree angle (stock is 90 degrees).

With your edges up off of the snow just a tad, you will find that it is much easier to pull clean boardslides, and just harder to catch an edge in general.

This applies to freeriding as well: riding butter down the hill, spinning around on a nose press, is really hard unless your edges are ground out just a little bit ;).

The downside is that for the first few runs after the adjustment, your board will feel like steel; you'll find that you need to steer a little more with your feet and knees, flex a little lower and harder, to ride your board's sidecut and get a make a good scar on the hill :).

88 degree edges took me a morning to get used to, but ended up being a good change all-the-way :).

1) Do not cut in front of a snowboarder, regardless of it you're in control or not. It takes snowboarders a lot longer to stop from full speed bombing, so you're putting yourself at risk. This applies to snowplowers (1 plankers) as well. I put a nasty nick in my very expensive setup because of these people. I'm not really happy with you.

Straight-up. My lovely, shiny black snowboard has been irreverisbly marred by legions of skiers skiing over my snowboard in lift lines, and while I teach on the hill.

Some people actually cut all the way over to the far side of the hill (way out of the way, where one can park a class safely), in order to zoom past me (or ski overtop of my snowboard because the skier in question doesn't know what they're doing) while I am teaching.

Another piece of advice for everyone, boarder and skiier alike.

Do not ever, ever, ever stop in the center of the hill, at choke points on the hill, or at the tops of ridges and pitch drop-offs on the hill. Keep moving, or stop over at the side, out of the way.

I went night snow-boarding all weekend at Blue Mountain last weekend, and was amazed at the number of people who stop and stand around at every pitch drop-off or ridge on the hill. For someone who enjoys the freedom of being able to ride as fast as I want to when I'm not teaching and just freeriding for myself, the need to slow down when going past these people is a real annoyance.

One little group of people even stopped and sat down right below a ridge, where it was impossible to see them from uphill. Guess who I crashed into? :(. Not fun for anyone, luckily noone was hurt.

Bah, degrees sign ruins posts.
ALT+167 for future reference.

Anyway, my crossbow LOVES to charge through all conditions, except crappy so Cal snow when it hasn't snowed for awhile. 88 degrees huh? Interesting....

I like my crossbow cut nice because turning easy is important for me, as is having that extra "riding on one edge" feel. I've really only taken a few bad falls this season so far.

1. *** => Ice @ SnowSummit

This one hurt. It had been sunny all day, sun went down and it got cold. So ice ALL over the place. So first fall of the trip, making a toeside to heelside turn, cought my heel edge and off I went. Not fun.

2. Cornice Bowl @ Mammoth

Cornice is bad towards the top, moguls and such. Lower down it's a lot of fun if conditions are right. So I go to make the infamous heel to toe turn, and slip. LUCKILY FOR ME, I hadn't hiked up my pants or tucked my shirt in, so I sorta realized that my jacket was slowly scooping up snow as I slid down the hill, on BARE chest. Cold.

/sigh

Went snowboarding last night at the local yocal ski resort here near my house. THe place is a pimple on the face of Connecticut, but it's right next door, and I can get in free, so I go over every once in a while.

Anyway... Broke my damn binding last night. I'm not freakin happy. Was coming down the slope. Scratch that... SCREAMING down the slope, and went into a hard low carve (using my race board yesterday) when the toe clip on my front binding detached and went flinging away into the woods. My front foot/leg hit the snow and twisted me and my snowboard around in this really awkward way. I thought my leg was going to break. Ended up swinging around so hard that I caught the opposite edge of my board on this fabulous New England snow (ice) and slammed back/butt/head first onto the ground.

I have to tell you... Last night was the first night that I can properly say that I now think that wearing a snowboarding helmet can save your life. I hit my head so hard that it put a small fracture in the back of the helmet. I'm now of the thinking that these helmets should be worn on the snow in place of hats. I only wore the helmet while on my race board, but now I've rethought that decision.

Anyway... After laying in the snow in severe pain for a good 5 minutes, trying to catch my breath, I was able to detach out of my one good binding and collect myself, then limp painfully down the mountain.

I just got off the phone with Burton, the maker of my helmet. RED is a subsidiary company of Burton. The helmet is going to be replaced by them free of charge. I guess they are designed to resist breakage, and since I was actually able to crack it, it falls under warranty. So I should be getting a brand new helm fairly soon. WIthin the next week or two.

I'm in some pain today though. I'm walking with a limp, and my neck is killing me. I think the neck is from when I had my head whipped into the snow. My neck must have gotten a strain from it. My back is killing me as well. I have some nice painkillers left over from my wisdom tooth surgery, so i'm using them to cut the pain. Oxycontons are nice for that. I hope I heal up fast.

Now I have to find myself some new plate bindings for my race board. BAH!

I'm a boarder :D I also work as an instructor at MT. Sunapee in New Hampshire. My first board, that I still ride :attn: is a '99 ('98?) Burton Custom 164 With Nidecker Carbon 860 bindings. I am not awesome. I love to just carve huge ruts, and I am just getting down both my front and backside 180's off pretty good jumps.

P.S.: I used to live right around the corner from the Burton Factory in Burlington :D

Back