• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 not allowed to install, help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacksonvile

:eh?: Ok I have memtest downloaded onto my computer, but everytime I go to intall it on a floppy I get a message saying this is not fit to run in window or dos and it makes me close the installer.

I won't allow me to install on the disk, why is that? Also is there anything that I need to do in bios to set it up to book to drive A first or anything?

thanks

I would recommend burning the Memtest image to a CD. Don't just copy it! You must burn the image. Then in the bios change the boot order to CD-ROM 1st, Then HDD. Restart the system with the burned image of Memtest CD in the drive and it'll do all the rest.

Hmmm, I never considered running it in DOS. I just thought it was usually ran in windows. Is it worth the effort do you think?

It is one of the big three stabilty tests. Its not only worth the effort, it is essential.

you may be referrring to different versions of memtest. one version you must run by rebooting and running it from a floppy disk. another version (actaully a different program) can run in windows.

Thank you for your replies.

The weired thing is that it will not allow me to make a boot disk, it say this program is not fit to run in windows or dos and make me close the install, what is that about?

jacksonvile said:
Thank you for your replies.

The weired thing is that it will not allow me to make a boot disk, it say this program is not fit to run in windows or dos and make me close the install, what is that about?

Someone will need to supplement this but I think you need to name it a certain file type, like .exe, or .bin...

Ok, put your floppy in. Format to a bootable disk, take floppy out. Unzip memtest. double click install.bat. You are prompted for a path, type a, press enter. Its that simple.

Back