• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sentinel's burn-in for RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Me said:
Sentinel, in his CPU burn in method, starved the CPU of Volts and burnt it in using CPU Burn. A lot of users reported dramatic results. You can find that thread here:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=341296

I am suggesting a similar burn in procedure for the RAM. Set VDimm at the minimum allowed and burn in your RAM with Memtest for about a day, at the highest freq you can barely boot into Windows. Ignore all errors and just let it run. If you encounter a lockup, lower your HTT/FSB and re-burn.

The idea is to see if your RAM can be conditioned to operate with better stability when you eventually increase VDimm.

Did somebody already try this? If so please post your results. Screenshots accompanying your comments would be appreciated.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you don't seem to be "starving" the RAM for Volts.
I may have misunderstood, but can you point out where you recommend performing the following:-

1.Set VDimm to the minimum allowed value.
2.Burn in at max FSB obtained with higher VDimm.

Useful information in there, I'll give it a shot. Are the number of errors mentioned absolute? How did you come up with those numbers?

Super Nade said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but you don't seem to be "starving" the RAM for Volts.
I may have misunderstood, but can you point out where you recommend performing the following:-

1.Set VDimm to the minimum allowed value.
2.Burn in at max FSB obtained with higher VDimm.

Useful information in there, I'll give it a shot. Are the number of errors mentioned absolute? How did you come up with those numbers?

Hmm, I should have mentioned that the method i outlined was similar to sentinel's burn in in only the way that you burn in on a "stable" setting that still generates errors, my mistake. I have not tried and documented a method with starving volts yet, nor run across one.

Also, at least in the way i oulined the method the burn-in takes place at the max frequency that i can still be "stable" enough to generate less than 2000 errors in 12 hours. I did however seem to neglect mentioning what voltages are the best to run. This is a personal choice as to what one feels comfortable burning their ram in on. Personaly, with my bh5, i burn in on the 3.4v as mentioned in the guide.

The number of errors comes from a consensus of folks testing over @ dfistreets... Wander around over there and searce for bh5 burnin if you want more info.

The outline i provided was mostly to just demonstrate my logged results with that method, as always, YMMV.

Now that Helsyeah hasn't tried it :D, can somebody please run a batch of tests for me?

The reason why I can't run any tests is because my rig is dead ATM. It sucks to have RAM in RMA :(

:mad: Yes Ive heard of this sentential fellow. Frankly he's rude and ignorant. Im sure he's a dumbass n00b who cant use his PC right...I mean GOD who would belive such a crock?

Yes it works, I do it with everything I own:D

^^lol

I apologise for consistently misspelling your name :D.

Now, Sir, can you please elaborate on the improvement's youv'e seen? ;)

Super Nade said:
^^lol

I apologise for consistently misspelling your name :D.

Now, Sir, can you please elaborate on the improvement's youv'e seen? ;)
Well Im quite forgetful with details. I dont know how much...but I know its a gain.

As for the name-myspelling....dont even worry about it:D I spelled my name wrong in many of the posts I make

Sentential said:
:mad: Yes Ive heard of this sentential fellow. Frankly he's rude and ignorant. Im sure he's a dumbass n00b who cant use his PC right...I mean GOD who would belive such a crock?

Hey don't pick on him he seems like a good guy...and i think i'm gonna give it a go as soon as i get the chance....see if i can breathe anymore life into my value ram....

Back