• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get into Windows after minor OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So I was running it at 210x11 and 1:1 and decided to go higher. up to 214x11 1:1 and 5x was fine, but 215 wouldnt get into windows. It stopped just before the bar showed up. I also tried 236x10 with a mem lock at DDR400 and 4x on the HTT multi, but no good. So I went back to 215x11 and 5x and limited it to CPU/14, and it worked fine. So that isolated the memory. I went back to 1:1 and upped the voltage to 2.8, then 2.85. no good. screw it, I said, and went back to 210x11 1:1 and 5x. Still didn't show the XP loading screen. Uh oh. cleared the CMOS and tried it. No good. Tried dropping the RAM to DDR200 and the HTT to 4x, nothing.

Did I kill my RAM with an overvolt, or is it something else?

I have some other RAM lying around here (generic PC2100 stuff), might give that a shot tommorrow. In the meantime, any suggestions?

Have you ran memtest from a bootable floppy yet?

If you haven't do so and that would tell you if it's the memory's fault.

Also, update your bios to the latest because over at xtremesystems forums I've read people having problems with this board. Apparently it isn't as good.

If I were you I would get the MSI nforce4 SLI or wait for the DFI and get one of those.

I'm running memtest right now.

Ive already got the Asus board and I dont plan on returning it. any OC is better than nothing, and I dont plan on OCing that much.

The memory is fine. I ran memtest for 11 hours straight (36 cycles) without an error. I'll try updating the BIOS, and if all else fails, reinstalling windows. I'm not sure if its hardware...it does POST, after all, and memtest was fine. only thing I changed was the mem voltage, and it worked fine when I dropped it back down to 214x11 after having it at 215x11 without the voltage. but seeing as the memory is fine...

In other news, my boot.ini file is weird...I replaced it with one from this laptop (XP pro 32 bit) b/c I was having problems with NTLDR...I eventualy got NTLDR fixed, but never made a backup of the original boot.ini file, so now whenever it load windows, it says "invalid boot.ini, booting from C:\Windows" and boots fine (or it did before this whole thing...). could that have something to do with it?

weird...I ran the install CD and hit repair installation...It did that and booted up just fine, until I tried to log in. It told me my evaluation period was up and that it couldn't enter windows. Safe mode worked, but not safe mode with networking. I realized that when I did my Clear RTC, I didn't correct the system clock, so that may have done it. I'm trying the repair again with a different CD key and with the system clock set.

The good news is, it looks like all the hardware is fine! Now the question is, why did this happen? I was getting weird messages a few times after an OC to 215x11 without the added volts, things like certain files were missing or corrupt and windows couldn't start. dropped back to 214 and it worked fine. silly silly M$ ;) :D

ive heard on the Asus N-force4 board they havent got a working PCI slot lock so your IDE bus maybe running too far out of spec and thats what caused windows to mess up

I'm thinking along those lines too...nTune gave me a warning saying that the PCI bus was locked to the HTT bus, but I ignored it...

Any, I'm back in. I installed windows on my 120GB HD (something I should have done from the beginning) and Its working fine. I'll just give my C drive a quick format and throw a copy of XP 32bit on there, and I should be good to go...

...now about that PCI bus...time to make a post in the mobo section...

Back