• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot XBL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazygirl88

Registered
I am relatively new to the ocing scene. Got curious about ocing a month ago.. ever since then, i've been reading insanely amount of guides/boards on ocing..I think i am ready to oc my 3000+ s939 hehe..

I have a simple question :

I just have one stick of 512mb Patriot TCCD ram... would having two sticks of these (2x512)(dual channel) help with OCing? Would it two sticks(dual channel) OC better than just one? Or it doesnt matter?

And what are some htt @ timings @ volt numbers you guys got with these ram?

thanks ;p

o yeah i got the ones listed with 2-2-2-5.. is that tccd?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-036&depa=0

Last edited:
your OC will probably stay the same. It wont go up if anything it can go down. Your max OC is only as stable as your worst stick of RAM. As far as timings with it, I couldnt tell ya.

Cerberus is correct, two sticks of RAM running dual channel won't allow you to overclock faster, but dual channel will significantly increase memory bandwidth which in turns helps performance.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

before you go any further i warn you that OCing is VERY addicting and could be very $$$ and time consuming ;)

yes that ram in the link is tccd, have 2 sticks will drop your max OC, but as batboy stated dual channel and the extra memory will boost performance

unlike most tccd out there, pdp tccd responds well to high voltage, so i say set the max that is in the bios... btw what mobo do you have? u should list your system specs in your sig so it is easier for others to help...

i will assume that your bios vdimm maxes out at 2.85v, command rate should always be 1T going to 2T will drop performance significantly, at timings 2-2-2-5(cas-trcd-trp-tras) you should max out around 215mhz give or take a few mhz, and so on....heres a link to what i got with my pdp's THREAD, of course your results won't be exactly like mine but u should getting a little higher as my results were with 2x512

since you have a 3000+, you should aim for high fsb/htt as you only have a max of 9 multiplier, with high fsb you will need to run 2.5-3-3-5, 2.5-4-3-6, or 2.5-4-4-7. i would suggest the last set of timings as you should reach 280mhz or more, that would yeild at least 280x9=2.52ghz which is close to your max cpu speed, cpu OCing is a whole other thing, ram timings on 939s doesn't matter too much. you could run async/with_divider, but avoid it if possible

Last edited:
bobmanfoo said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

before you go any further i warn you that OCing is VERY addicting and could be very $$$ and time consuming ;)

yes that ram in the link is tccd, have 2 sticks will drop your max OC, but as batboy stated dual channel and the extra memory will boost performance

unlike most tccd out there, pdp tccd responds well to high voltage, so i say set the max that is in the bios... btw what mobo do you have? u should list your system specs in your sig so it is easier for others to help...

i will assume that your bios vdimm maxes out at 2.85v, command rate should always be 1T going to 2T will drop performance significantly, at timings 2-2-2-5(cas-trcd-trp-tras) you should max out around 215mhz give or take a few mhz, and so on....heres a link to what i got with my pdp's THREAD, of course your results won't be exactly like mine but u should getting a little higher as my results were with 2x512

since you have a 3000+, you should aim for high fsb/htt as you only have a max of 9 multiplier, with high fsb you will need to run 2.5-3-3-5, 2.5-4-3-6, or 2.5-4-4-7. i would suggest the last set of timings as you should reach 280mhz or more, that would yeild at least 280x9=2.52ghz which is close to your max cpu speed, cpu OCing is a whole other thing, ram timings on 939s doesn't matter too much. you could run async/with_divider, but avoid it if possible

thanks.. i just updated my sig so u can see what specs i have.

I have another question...by overclocking the ram.. you are overclocking the cpu too at the same time right?? since you are upping the fsp/http speed right? And i should decrease my HT to 4x till i get up to 250fsp.. and if i go higher than 250, i decrease HT to 3x. correct?

Last edited:
lazygirl88 said:
thanks.. i just updated my sig so u can see what specs i have.

I have another question...by overclocking the ram.. you are overclocking the cpu too at the same time right?? since you are upping the fsp/http speed right? And i should decrease my HT to 4x till i get up to 250fsp.. and if i go higher than 250, i decrease HT to 3x. correct?
yes OCing the memory will OC the cpu if you are using the same multiplier, the ht speed doesn't have to be exactly 1ghz, im doing 260x4

bobmanfoo said:
yes OCing the memory will OC the cpu if you are using the same multiplier, the ht speed doesn't have to be exactly 1ghz, im doing 260x4

But i should put the ht to 3x to be safe if i wish to go over 250htt? lowering the HT wouldnt decrease perfomance, correct?

250 X 3 makes 750, that's no where near the 1000 mark, as bobmanfoo stated, his is 260 X 4 = 1040, over the 1000 limit but he's not too far off :)

warlock110 said:
250 X 3 makes 750, that's no where near the 1000 mark, as bobmanfoo stated, his is 260 X 4 = 1040, over the 1000 limit but he's not too far off :)

Some systems can go up to 1100 HT stable...

1100.JPG

Once you get used to the settings and get a nice stable OC...then adjust the HT multiplier and see how well your system reacts to 1000HT+...You might be one of the lucky ones whoms systems can handle 1100 on HT...

well you can set it to 3x if you are OCing to avoid it from being a potential instability, then adjust it up when you find a comfortable OC, its the same reason i suggested that you turn your ram voltage to the max...but the PDP likes voltages anyway. heres another thread that might help you with the cpu voltage, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=351720 , setting it to 1.45v + 5% should be fine up to ~2.5ghz, up it to 8.3% if you go higher than 2.5ghz, then when you find a comfy OC then just lower it to something more precise

Back