• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding cheap DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

I am planning on buying a Shuttle XPC (SB95PV2) and it has a P4 925XE chipset. So it uses DDR-2.
I am pretty unfamiliar with DDR-2 and the only thing I know is it costs more than DDR without giving much advantage (if any). But I am going to invest on 2Gb RAM and I wouldnt want it to be DDR since it will phase out soon...

I mean, in 2 years time, if I want to upgrade I don't want my RAM to be useless...and 2Gb is a lot of RAM, so I wouldn't wanna invest on DDR right now...

So I want 2x1gb DDR2 but I want it to be as cheap as possible and in a european shop...

So far the cheapest I have found is A-data Vitesta 1gb PC2-4200 which goes for 444e incl. VAT.
Is there any cheaper choice out there?

Also, since current CPUs are 200FSB, I think 533 DDR2 will be enough for a next upgrade... The 925XE supports 266FSB, so I guess I could put a new processor in a couple of years in there that is native 266FSB and the RAM will be able to run sync again....right?

Of the cheaper PC2-4200, A-Data is ok. Might look around for PQI or Patriot or Corsair Value RAM or TwinMOS. At least those are fairly cheap in 1 gig sticks here in the USA, although not sure about availability in Europe. If you can find PC2-4200 rated at CAS3, then that will overclock very well. Yes, PC2-4200 will run 1:1 in spec with a 1066 bus processor and still have some overclocking room.

If I were in the US, I'd get 2x1Gb Wintec AMPX 5300 , which has micron chips (the best out there in DDR2) and rox for the money.

Unfortunately in Europe the choices are much more limited :(

I can't locate any PQI in German/UK online shops....
The cheapest I have found remains A-data Vitesta 1Gb here :

http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/memory/ddr2-533.asp

Back