• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I go overboard with 4200 memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azbluemach1

I need some help with memory. Let me lay out what I have:

865PE NEO2-PLS
P4 2.4a
1x256 OCZ4200
EVGA 6600GT

Currently, I am able to achieve an overclock to 3248, by using the 'DDR450' selection in either core center or through the bios. If I understand everthing correctly, my 2.4a chip has a multiplier of 18 and making that selection raises the FSB to something like 188mhz.

I am in the mood to get some more memory. I think I went a little overboard by getting the 4200, since it is rated for something like 267mhz FSB (533/2, right?), and since my 2.4 normally runs at 533FSB, when I over clock to 3.2ghz, I am really just running the FSB at 188mhz. I dont really want to take this chip much higher than that, because it runs mid 60c under a load, and I don't want to add a cooling solution.

SO - Would I be cool with any old 3200 memory at these settings, or is the MSI board doing something to the memory in addition to bumping the FSB when I choose to do the OS throuh the DDR Settings? Also, I havnt figured out how to just manually set the FSB through the Bios- Can that be done with this board?

What I am getting at is trying to make the following decision:

Buy something like this for 150$:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-310&depa=0

Or buying 3 more sticks of 256 OCZ 4200 @ 64.75x3=$194.25

Would the board be happier with 4x256 or with 2x512?

How important is latency in this situation?

Also, the next PC I build will prob be 775/ddr2 etc, so I dobut re-use or future upgradeablilty will be an issue. Although if I do stick with the 4200, I would have much better luck someday with an 800mhz FSB chip...

I'd go with 2x512 of anything pc3200 speeds or higher. It all matters what chips the memory has, not what its rated to do.

so, a buddy just reminded me that your not supposed to switch the type of memory in your system once you have been running a particular kind for a while... Any real merit to this?

azbluemach1 said:
so, a buddy just reminded me that your not supposed to switch the type of memory in your system once you have been running a particular kind for a while... Any real merit to this?

Reminded you ? Of what exactly ?

Get any memory you care for,If you are worried if it will be compatable check the M/B manufactures website for memory compatability...Because ya use crucal dont mean you can not swap it for ocz,kingston ect..

if ur running the fsb and memory 1-1 @ 188 or even 3/4, the pc4200 isnt getting exercised much..so any pc3200 and most if not all pc2700 will do the job if ur runnin 1-1.

Back