• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Balancing CPU speed & Mem settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{AG}Sgt.Stryker

OK, first the context is game performance, not maximum OC. I'm trying to figure out where the balance should be between CPU speed and memory settings. I have found that I can push my CPU well beyond my RAM, FSB-wise. In order to get the highest FSB my CPU can support, I have to back off the memory ratio and latencies. So I'm wondering, at what point do the lines cross... in other words, is it better to keep the FSB up and the memory settings down, or vice versa? For example, I can run my P4 3.20E at 240 FSB (3.84G) all day, if I keep the RAM ratio at 5:4 and the latencies at 2.5-2-2-5. But, if I back the FSB down to 235, I can run the RAM at 1:1 2-2-2-5.

Which should produce better gaming performance, speed to the CPU or speed to the RAM? I know one of the responses will be "try them both and see which looks better," which I did and I can't discern a difference. I'm more interested in the theory at this point.

Sarge

Back