• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Ram with A64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dimebag

Registered
Hey, I was just wondering how high people have seen the 3200+ Winchesters. The choice is between:

OCZ EL Gold VX Dual Channel 3200 2x512 - (I hear Winbond UTT)
OCZ EL Platinum Dual Channel 3700 2x512 - TCCD
OCZ Platinum Dual Channel 3200 rev2 - TCCD

I'm getting the DFI nForce4 Ultra-D, and I've seen the rev2's break 300 htt on them. I'm just wondering how high the 3200+ can get with the 10x multi. The VX's can get to 260's, and they are considerably cheaper and hold their timings better than the 3700's, and so do the rev2's. I basically want to get the best bang for my buck, the fastest latencies with the highest fsb the chip will let me go.

Thanks

Dime

warlock110 said:
obviously you're not gonna do 10 X 300, maybe 9 X 300 is best if you can get it.

Why not? its possible.
What kind of cooling are you going to have?

Alright, so that leaves the VX memory out. I would use it if I had a higher multi (like the FX-55's have 13x I believe). So it's between the rev2's and the 3700 platinum. Now it's down to which ones have better timings at ~300htt. My goal is 280x10/9 1:1, and anything over is a bonus. Am I just banking on a lucky set of chips, or is there a noticable performance difference between the rev2's (which I've read many good things about) and the 3700's (guaranteed TCCD and also starts at a high clock speed, maybe more stable the higher it goes???).

Dime

Saruji said:
What kind of cooling are you going to have?

I'm getting an Antec P-160 case (two 12 cm fans) and a Thermalright xp-120.

P.S.: On the OCZ website they offer warranty that's slightly higher on the 3700's then the rev2's (3.0v compared to 2.9v). I'm most likely looking in the range of 3.3-3.4v eventually.

why does that leave the VX out? mine can hit 268mhz 2-2-2-5, out of the choices i would get the VX or rev2 platinum, the VX is warranted up to 3.5v -/+ 5% = 3.675v

Wow, that's a lot of juice. Good thing is I don't need the DDR Booster, as DFI give you enough power (up to 4.0v I think) to run those suckers. I just don't know if 260 is enough, with a 3200+. I for sure don't want the chip to be bottlenecked by the ram, even if it is at sick timings. I'd like a perfect combo of htt speed and timings, like maybe ease up on those latencies and run 2-3-2-7 or something and get into the 270's at least. I'm not sure, you're the man with the stuff I'm basically buying :p. You think I could get 2.7-2.8 out of the chip while running a bit softer timings?

It's an argument of bandwidth vs. latencies. Which one would give me better results. I've seen a guy pull off 48,000+ 3d01 marks with the VX at 3.75v, but that's with an fx-55 with a 13x multiplier, so he's at like 3.4ghz. So again, bandwidth or latencies, what's the performance trade-off?

Dime

The highest 3DMark01 score is 43k.

VX would be the way to go in your situation... 265x10 2-2-2 vs 270x10 3-3-2.5, not even a contest worth debating. Even at 250x10 2-2-2 I can lay the smack on people running 200MHz faster than me looser latencies.

Yeah, that's OPPainter over at xtremesystems. Sorry, I just can't count :p. Wow, I've seen tests with the VX memory getting to 260 and beyond at 2-2-2-x (8-10) 1t. Very interesting Gautam. I wasn't sure what effected performance more, if slacking off the latencies and gaining the bandwidth was worth the loss in latency. Guess I know now. Plus, the VX modules are much cheaper than the 3700 and the 3200 rev2. I'm trying to compete with my buddy who's overhauling his computer as well but is spending twice the amount. I just want to beat his fx-55 on the Gigabyte non-SLI with corsair ram and an x850xt pe ALL STOCK (he's a ***** won't risk it :p) or whatever (I'm getting an evga 6800gt and another one eventually).

Just to confirm, these are the modules:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13483&vpn=OCZ4001024ELDCGEVX-K&manufacture=OCZ Technology

Back