• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

house brand ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demighost

well like title says i got a questions about the "house brand" ram. main one is will it work? and does it run stable. Im not an overclocker i do stock speeds only thing i oc is maybe the video card. i currently have 512kb of knigston ram but i wanna get a 1gb more. basically is it worth the money or will it die within months

rams rarely die, it's solid state, just like a CPU, the things that die are the ones that's moving in your computer. so if it works out for you, grab another stick.

just make sure you get the timings and voltage as close as your other stick of ram .. you'll be better off..

It is likely that the "house brand" will have looser timming than your kingston.

Your kingston if probalbly something like 2.5-3-3-7 while the "house brand" may be 3-3-3-8 or even 3-4-4-9.

This doesn't mean you can't use the cheaper ram, it just means you will have to slow your timmings down which will hurt performance a bit.

Some more information about what you have now would be usefull, such as what kingston ram you have, or what FSB you are running.

you have to be careful cause some of the house brand stuff (not all) can be 2nd grade chips that are reworked by a third party. although inexpensive they have a high failure rate..

Back