• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which memory is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nantucket66

Registered
Hi,

As you can see from my signature I am currently using 1 Gb of Corsair RAM, the XMS4000 DDR500. It has a latency of 3 and to be honest it is one thing I have never altered in the bios (it's the one with the glitzy activity lights!).

Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to change the memory to the new Corsair TwinX 4400 C25 at 2.5?

Eveyone seems to be jumping up and down about this memory saying it's really, really good.

Would buying 2 matched pairs making 2Gb be a waste of money or not?

Would changing this and tinking with it get my over the 4Ghz mark?

Thanks in advance

David

Q: Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to change the memory to the new Corsair TwinX 4400 C25 at 2.5?

A: Since the TwinX 4400 has lower CAS timings, it is better than the ram you currently have. Worth while in your case? Probably not. More below.

Q: Would buying 2 matched pairs making 2Gb be a waste of money or not?

A: This depends on your needs. 1GB is enough memory for today's applications and games. Most people (myself included) who use thier PC's for video/photo editing really take advantage of all 2GB if not more.

Q: Would changing this and tinking with it get my over the 4Ghz mark?

A: It has the potential to. This is where your 3.2 Prescott starts setting the limitations. It may or may not be able to handle 4+ GHz. I would imagine that heat would become an issue as well. You could also try increasing the voltage in your current memory to make the timings tighter while increasing the speed. Corsair memory has great overclocking potential.

Good luck and be careful.

Back