• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xtreme to the Max!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Ok you guys that THINK you have a good overclock...you have got to see this.

This thread could go in the cpu or the mobo or the video or the cooling sections as well as the Memory section but since I hang out here the most, its here.

Yesterday I read this thread over at XS describing the adventures that one of the members over there, charley, went thru in overclocking his A64. It was nothing but extreme and very entertaining to boot (pun intended) and I was going to provide a link to it but got side-tracked.

Well, he is now telling his story in an article over at Madshrimps and it really is too good to pass up so here is the link to this step-by-step into the sub-zero world. Enjoy!

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=296

i was feeling depressed (wrecked my board with extreme mods) now i dont feel so bad cause this guy is a total maniac. reefa, it is a great read..

Thanks for the link reefa

I could only dream of trashing a nice system like that even if for science sake.

Sorry to hear about your board flapper. You getting any closer to ordering the ddr600?
I got some.. not a good story. Will share with you later.

Xception

That is awsome... except that he killed it ha ha. would have been awsome to see some real bench screenshots at 3700.

flapper,

Man...sorry to hear about your board. After all that work you put into it (you are talking about the Abit, right?) it is a shame to not be able to reap the rewards.

I have got to agree with you thought that the DFI NF4 is the only way to go these days. The capabilities of 4v at your disposal, with all this Winbond UTT around for cheap sure makes for an inviting combo.

OMG! I didn't think cpu's were able to run that cold. I read somewhere that cpu's start acting funny at about -50C...

Reefa_Madness said:
flapper,

Man...sorry to hear about your board. After all that work you put into it (you are talking about the Abit, right?) it is a shame to not be able to reap the rewards.

I have got to agree with you thought that the DFI NF4 is the only way to go these days. The capabilities of 4v at your disposal, with all this Winbond UTT around for cheap sure makes for an inviting combo.

I saw the DFI NF4 board here in Japan last weekend. I thought it was expensive but hell, it's about the same price in U.S. for preorders.

I don't think I'm gonna go NF4. You gotta get a PCI Express card, and nobody has X800XT PEs in stock. Even then, you gotta pay $600-700! Most of us have already invested that much money in an AGP PE or Ultra, and now we gotta scrounge around for another one?

The only PCI Express cards in stock are lower end, so you end up with the same benchmarks or worse than an NF3 with high end ATI/Nvidia (tho' Ultra PCI cards are available).

I did the VDIMM mod on the 9NDA3+ and it's easy. I think the board can handle 3.8 as it uses the 5-volt rail. I also used the Booster on the MSI Neo2 Plat, and 3D benches OK, except the thing is an oven.

Zipzoomfly had the DFI Ultra D for $151 but was out of stock. Just for grins I put my name on the "notify" list and received notice today that it was back in stock...at $165! The cost of bleedin edge is high.

When the dust settles and this board's price stabilizes I might look into it. A couple of 6600GT and a #2 pencil and your good to go for about $350 (for graphics), or just a single 6600GT is as good or better than a 9800XT.

For the time being I won't be jumping in but if I was in need/want for an A64 rig then that would certainly be the board that I would be looking at today.

Back