• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

This is more than just a memory question, but... whatever.

I got a 512mb stick of OCZ Premier PC3200. It runs stable at 215x10.5, prime tested for a few hours. If I use it with my 2x256 Kingmax also in, I can only do 200x11. My question:

Keep the OCZ by itself, run at 215X10.5, and find a matching stick later? This gives me -100 points in 3dmark2k5, but my CPU score shows 3900. Temps are a toasty 44c idle and 60c load.

Or Keep the whole mismatched gig, and run 200fsb. Gain 100points 3dmark2k5, but CPU score drops to 3200 or so. Temps stay 41c idle 51c load.

I don't know why, but I have to crank the voltages to get even the 215X10.5. I needto run my MOBILE XP at 1.85, my ram at 3.1, timing stays at 3-3-3-8. Maybe this mobo is just not great for OCing? Also, my temps are crap, but this is the best I can do through lots of trial and error.

hard to say, i would try and match it with the same memory. remember cpu bandwidth(speed) counts more than memory bw. thats alot of voltage for just a little overclock u are also getting on the ragged edge of too hot with the first option . try getting the heat down (1.85 and 3.1 seems awful hi for such a small increase in speed)

Your better off running 200 X 11 over 215 X 10.5 period. So may as well keep your gig in that case...? Read about .5 multipliers and how it causes memory to run asynchronous here ----http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=362703

rob 119 said:
Your better off running 200 X 11 over 215 X 10.5 period. So may as well keep your gig in that case...? Read about .5 multipliers and how it causes memory to run asynchronous here ----http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=362703

Since they are running a mobile...the .5 multipliers work fine...just not on the A64's...and since the 11x200 would be in dual channel...that would be faster then 10.5x215 in single channel...

Really it would be better to stick with the single OCZ (for now) and get another matching set so you will have two good sticks of ram to OC with instead of 2 ok sticks in dual channel...in the long run dual OCZ sticks will be much better then the kingmax's...

Well, it would be the 512mb OCZ PLUS 2x256mb Kingmax. It still says "dual channel" when I boot like that, but I don't see how it would really be helping, seeing as how the 512mb stick is all on its own.

I know... my Mobile chip supposedly could do [email protected] according to the person I bought it from. But for me it needs 1.65 just to bump from 166 up to 200. Then from there I get BSOD or Prime95 errors until I keep ramping it up.

Odds are this is because of the mix of ram and odds are the kingmax is the weak link when it comes to the memory OC's...Kingmax is pretty crappy for OCing...they are great at stock...but not for OCing...

This is why I stated to sell the kingmax and get another stick of OCZ...then you should see close to 230+ with matching or close to matching OCZ sticks...(with the right timings and voltage)

Well, I agree about the Kingmax. It will eventually be replaced. But I just don't see myself getting up over 215... Even though my CPU has done 2400, and the OCZ has done 238 (for the previous owner). I don't get it-why would I need SUCH high voltage for a mild OC? Even if I just run the OCZ, and set timing down to 3-3-3-8, I still need over 1.8 to get higher than 210. And at that point, my SI-97 (which seems like it kicked butt when I first got it but now temps are raising...) is just not enough.

Back