• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My $1500 rig list, suggestions & advice please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZenTrickz

Registered
AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 -- $225.00
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-DR" -- $179.00
G.skill (512MB x 2) DDR PC-4400 Model "LE" -- $262.99
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256-Bit PCI-E -- $477.00
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Model 3520A -- $62.99
Fortron 550W -- $91.00

---------------------------
Cooling

Thermalright "XP-120" -- $62.99
Arctic Cooling VGA Cooler "NV silencer 5" -- $28.49
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste -- $7.59

TOTAL: $1,397.05

I wasn't sure where to put this post. The memory section was my favorite, so here I am :) . I have a "250gb western digital HD", and an old school "Sound Blaster Live" sound card. I plan to upgrade those later, for now I wanted the core of the PC to be a strong overclocking rig. I have read tons of reviews, and taken tons of suggestions in posts. But this will be my first rig I put together and I need a final critique before I take the plunge. I think most of the components I listed are of quality. The only one I've been sitting on the fence with is the power supply. I plan to do the SLI mod to the motherboard and go 2x 6800 GT's later.

-Do you think the fortron will do the job?
-Any components you would suggest I change?
-Suggestions needed!

Edit: Oh by the way this is a rig for gaming :cool:

Last edited:
everything looks fine, a bit expensive for my taste (i'm a student that doesn't make money, cheap is in my blood). But you should be ok with the setting above, if you swap out the XP 120 for the XP90, and buy artic silver from somewhere else, you'll cut back 30 bucks, the fortron PSU should hold up fine, the Gskill ram are a bit expensive IMO, but they are the only safe ways, you can look at other alternative for PC4400 like patriot or other brands and cut back another 50, I have no idea on the mobo you picked because i haven't looked into NF4, the CPU is fine, unless you wanna cut back another 70 and go for the 3000+, there saved you about 150 if you go with what i have listed, but the stuff isn't as good as yours though, the performance of what i listed could be around 95% to 98% or maybe on part with what you've listed.

If you order at other places than newegg you'll save money.

Here's IMO

AMD64 3200+ s939 retail - $208, monarch
DFI Lanparty SLI-D, $189, monarch(i understand its a little more, but it's the SLI board, which will be handy later :)
BFG 6800GT OC pci-e, $430, monarch
ram is ok, LC's aren't bad though
optical is ok
Fortron 530W, just as good as the 550W, $78, newegg

cooling
Thermalright XP-120, $52, sidewinder
silencer is fine
Artic Silver 5, $6, sidewinder

That right there is a better option IMO, and alot cheaper. :)

One thing...how do you plan on cooling the XP 120?

And really...i would stay with the 120 unless it will not fit...but I would thinking about the OCZ 420/520 PSU...Key thing the OCZ has over th fortons...adjustable voltage rails...+12, +5 and +3.3v...

DamienKC said:
If you order at other places than newegg you'll save money.

Here's IMO

AMD64 3200+ s939 retail - $208, monarch
DFI Lanparty SLI-D, $189, monarch(i understand its a little more, but it's the SLI board, which will be handy later :)
BFG 6800GT OC pci-e, $430, monarch
ram is ok, LC's aren't bad though
optical is ok
Fortron 530W, just as good as the 550W, $78, newegg

cooling
Thermalright XP-120, $52, sidewinder
silencer is fine
Artic Silver 5, $6, sidewinder

That right there is a better option IMO, and alot cheaper. :)

Dude, you are officialy my new hero. Lol, jokes jokes. Wow thanks man. I'm gonna go with your suggested sites, and go with the BFG instead. I heard from a lot of people you can never go wrong with BFG video cards.

glock19owner said:
One thing...how do you plan on cooling the XP 120?

And really...i would stay with the 120 unless it will not fit...but I would thinking about the OCZ 420/520 PSU...Key thing the OCZ has over th fortons...adjustable voltage rails...+12, +5 and +3.3v...
I'm not sure what fan I was going to use for the 120. But I didn't think it would be rocket science to choose a fan. Hmmm, maybe a queiter fan like the Nexus fans. I hear they are soooo silent. Although max CFM's are like 68cfm's or so

Yea maybe I shouldn't half *** the power supply if I'm going to spend so much on the rig. Do you think the 520w OCZ Powerstream will do the job for two BFG 6800 GT's overclocked in SLI? OCZ's 600w is pretty expensive. I don't really wanna overkill it, at the same time I don't wanna half *** it. Ahhh what to do!

Last edited:
Hmmm...I think the 520 OCZ should be alright, but keep in mind the 600W on newegg is PCI-E ready, but i'm pretty sure there's an adapter of some sort.

Oh yeah, with that extra money you saved, wanna buy my processor? :p

Only kidding ;)

(kind of)

DamienKC said:
Hmmm...I think the 520 OCZ should be alright, but keep in mind the 600W on newegg is PCI-E ready, but i'm pretty sure there's an adapter of some sort.

Oh yeah, with that extra money you saved, wanna buy my processor? :p

Only kidding ;)

(kind of)

Hey, just out of curiousity. How does your s754 3200+ overclock? On what kind of cooling?

Actually it's not even finished yet. it's a 3000+ with 1mb cache, 9x multiplier. the person i bought it from ran it 2.5ghz 24/7 with an xp-120...so thats like a 2.7ghz newcastle :)

ZenTrickz said:
I'm not sure what fan I was going to use for the 120. But I didn't think it would be rocket science to choose a fan. Hmmm, maybe a queiter fan like the Nexus fans. I hear they are soooo silent. Although max CFM's are like 68cfm's or so

Well really...if you have the money dont skimp at all and get the new PC&C SLI 510 PSU...best PSU out but also cost...if you cant afford the PC&C then go with the 520W OCZ...and you are right...never skimp on a PSU no matter how much you have in the system...and with a system like the one you are building...dont use anything but OCZ or PC&C...

Also...for a 120MM fan...

Delta 120x38mm FFB1212EHE

Specifications: 120x120x38mm, -->190.00<-- CFM @ 4000 RPM, 59.0 dBA, 24.00 watts, 2.00 amps, 12v DC, 3+4 pin Molex connectors.

Only bad thing besides the dBA's is it requires 3 amps to start...

"Also note the power requirements of the FFB1212EHE, there is a 3.00 amp startup requirement "

Back