• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would i benefit more with 1GB @ 200mhz or 512MB @ 260mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

I got 2 option right now, buy another PC 3200 stick and run dual channel in my up comming rig (and since these things don't go pass 200mhz, i'm running async), or i can sprank out the money and grab a pair of PC4000 or PC4400 in dual channel, but i can only afford 512MB. I hope that i can sale off my PC3200 stick lol, i'll try and sale it to my friend cuzz he probably need it.

warlock110 said:
I got 2 option right now, buy another PC 3200 stick and run dual channel in my up comming rig (and since these things don't go pass 200mhz, i'm running async), or i can sprank out the money and grab a pair of PC4000 or PC4400 in dual channel, but i can only afford 512MB. I hope that i can sale off my PC3200 stick lol, i'll try and sale it to my friend cuzz he probably need it.

There is zero benefit to running anything faster than pc3200 on A64. Maxing the CPU is the most important thing, running PC4400 1/1 will not add anything to running PC3200 with a divider. Better to buy a faster video card than chase pointless ram clocks past 250....

Dragonprince said:
There is zero benefit to running anything faster than pc3200 on A64. Maxing the CPU is the most important thing, running PC4400 1/1 will not add anything to running PC3200 with a divider. Better to buy a faster video card than chase pointless ram clocks past 250....

You're kidding right? Dividers kill bandwidth big time. Try running some 290+ HTT and tell me that MHz doesn't matter to an A64 :p

Sucka said:
You're kidding right? Dividers kill bandwidth big time. Try running some 290+ HTT and tell me that MHz doesn't matter to an A64 :p

OK, running 290 Mhz doesnt matter to an A64, dividers kill bandwith on P4, not A64. Read it yourself, the links below. I checked the guys results by running my own tests using some old pc3200 8-3-3-2.5 ram I have at 200Mhz against my top shelf Corsair @ 250, the differences were very small. Just because you paid a lot of money doesnt mean you had bought anything you needed...I'll admit 290 Mhz sounds cool but it's the same as 2.6 A64's vs 4 Ghz P4's...speed doesnt always tell the whole story.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1475190&enterthread=y

i plunge for 1GB of geil PC 4000 for 160 bucks, i'm gonna try and sale of one of the stick i got in my computer to get some money back, those people @ fry might have give me a used stick though, i don't have anything to test it out. I might return them if i can't get the CPU + mobo on the same day.

Back