• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Rev2 + PQI DC 1GB Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Got FSB??

Registered
Does anyone have first hand knowledge if the following DC kits will work well with the NF7-S rev2?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-152&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-151&depa=0

I'm looking into putting together a system for my wife. I have a unlocked 2500+ desktop lying around. I realize these two kits are not the TCCD/Brainpower chips, (anyone know what IC's are used in these sticks?)but with the NF7 I'll probably be running the memory at 2.5-3-3-x, these two choices seem to be at a good price. The wifie is not into gaming, but I do want to oc it. The 2500+ will do 2.35ghz easy...right now I have her on a MSI/2600+ desktop(locked)/pc2700(no oc) setup that I'll probably will be giving to her brother. Poor guy is still on a P3 600 system...

I am quite sure that they are the same ram, except the color of the heatspreaders. The PQI coding includes the spreader color id in the name. Note the middle letter in the last three letters of the code. One of those (I forget which one has the rebate) ends in DBH (B = Black), the one ends in DPH (P = Platinum). The rebate is just an effort to move one that is not selling as well as the other.

With respect to the modules...I think those sticks are currently using Mosel chips, but I am not 100%. It seems some of the guys have reported that info in that big PQI thread started by FATAL ENIGMA. PQI also has a PC3200 rated at 2-3-2-6 that was made with CH-5. I will dig up a review on it and edit this post for it.

I would think that both the Mosel and the ch-5 would do ok with the NF7, although I think the ch-5 would be a little better because it can run at tighter timings in the 200-225 range. Kingston has their PC3200 (A) version with CH-5 which regularly goes on sale at Fry's Outpost for around $150 per gig.

edit:
Well, I found the review, but the ram is not available at newegg, except for in the 2x256 kits for about $105 so it probably is not worth it at that price point (there are many more better options, including TCCD based stuff for just a little more than $105 for 2x256).

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!!!

You'll get a moderate overclock with that ram..... maybe about 210-220 fsb with relaxed timings..... I'd go with some TCCD ram (any of the brands) and you'll find yourself up into the 230-250 fsb region with that on an NF7-S. I got on the PQI bandwagon when it first came out with TCCD ram and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome HousERaT! :D

I'm trying to stay below $200 on memory. Start talking TCCD and we are over $200! :eek: My last NF7(let the smoke out) ran faster with loose timings 2.5-3-3, in the 230-240 range. So I'm guessing a moderate oc in the 210-220 range with a 11 multi will work out great. I know this unlocked 2500+ very well...it will not run more than 2.35ghz stable. LOL how do you think I let the smoke out on my first NF7? :bang head The wifie isn't a big gamer, and doesn't care about benchmark scores, as she put it, "I wanna go ZOOM!"

Reefa_Madness said:
edit:
Well, I found the review, but the ram is not available at newegg, except for in the 2x256 kits for about $105 so it probably is not worth it at that price point (there are many more better options, including TCCD based stuff for just a little more than $105 for 2x256).

Thanks for doing the research. :attn: The wifie will not go for only having 512! LOL If I have 1gb, she has to have 1gb! I already get grief cuz she gets all my hand me down systems/parts :rolleyes:

Just so you know, there is TCCD available from PDP Patriot for right around $220. It is more than your stated budget, but not a whole lot more. Tell the wife that you have to stay home one Friday night instead of going out in order to make up the difference in price, but that her PC will go "ZOOM" much better with the TCCD based ram.

Back