• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

How do I know that my memory is running Dual Channel. I didn't select any settings, I just put the memory in.

Download CPU-Z (cpuid.com) , if you don't already have it. It will display whether you are running in single or dual channel. Alternatively, so will Memtest. Those are two quick and easy ways.

Got the Manual?

I'll assume you don't... I'll assume your memory is double sided...I downloaded the pdf from the Epox site for your board. It appears you don't have dual channel on this board. Also you have to have one stick of memory in slot #1 to run at DDR400...slot #1 is the slot closest to the processor. The other stick needs to go in slot #3. If your memory is single sided it doesn't matter which slots you use for DDR400.

I don't know Epox A64 board well enough to know if that was a socket 754 or 939. If it is a socket 754, then like the response above stated, you can't run in DC.

hmmm darn. Its a 754. Yes my memory is double sided and it says that I should run in dimm1 and dimm3 slots on the board? Why is that? If this is true, I may be able to overclock higher using a 1:1 ratio. I could only get to a 216 fsb with the 1:1 so I had to use a 166MHz divider.

Edit: I also remember when I put my pc together, looking at the diagram for the RAM and to be honest, I didn't understand it very well. I just assumed that I should put them in the first two slots.

Got FSB?? said:
I'll assume you don't... I'll assume your memory is double sided...I downloaded the pdf from the Epox site for your board. It appears you don't have dual channel on this board. Also you have to have one stick of memory in slot #1 to run at DDR400...slot #1 is the slot closest to the processor. The other stick needs to go in slot #3. If your memory is single sided it doesn't matter which slots you use for DDR400.

Just for the record, your memory doesn't have to be double sided to run in dual channel. You have to a have a double sided stick in each channel to run dual channel with 1T command rate though. I tested this out in my old dfi infinity.

johnmcc516 said:
hmmm darn. Its a 754. Yes my memory is double sided and it says that I should run in dimm1 and dimm3 slots on the board? Why is that? If this is true, I may be able to overclock higher using a 1:1 ratio. I could only get to a 216 fsb with the 1:1 so I had to use a 166MHz divider.

Edit: I also remember when I put my pc together, looking at the diagram for the RAM and to be honest, I didn't understand it very well. I just assumed that I should put them in the first two slots.

http://www.epox.nl/manuals/mu-8KDA3J&+ V20 (PCB V2.x).pdf

Go to page 22. The way I understand it to be is if you want to run 2 double sided PC3200(DDR400) sticks, at DDR 400 speed or better, they'll need to go in slots #1 and #3.

Last edited:
johnmcc516 said:

"darn. Its a 754"? Nothing wrong with a 754 bud, just as fast as 939 in most cases, clock for clock. Your board is not special, most dont like the double sided ram in side by side slots due to the chip density on the ram, most likely a power issue. It wont effect your overclock by using slot 1 and 3, niether will running the divider as long as you get your ram going as fast as it can handle, that's all that matters.

alright thanks guys. This may explain some of the issues I have been having while trying to OC.

Quailane said:
Just for the record, your memory doesn't have to be double sided to run in dual channel. You have to a have a double sided stick in each channel to run dual channel with 1T command rate though. I tested this out in my old dfi infinity.

It would be single sided ram in 2 channels for 1T command rate. Basically 1T is only possible with 2 'sides' (2 single sided or 1 double-sided), although 2 double-sided sticks can be run at 1T but it is less stable and does not overclock as far.

Example of my rig:
1x 512MB stick @ 1T = 228 FSB
2x 512MB sticks @ 1T = slightly less than 228 FSB
2x 512MB sticks @ 2T = 242 FSB

And my server was crashing recently (2x DS 512MB sticks), and i switched it to 2T command, and its been flawless now.

Back