PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake: Proud maker of giant metal phalluses/water coolers

deathBOB
02-05-05, 05:41 PM
http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/cl-w0011rocket/cl-w0011.htm

Lol...

crimedog
02-05-05, 05:44 PM
woohoo they ripped off another design

SewerBeing
02-05-05, 05:46 PM
I am amazed it took them this long, guess it was too challenging for them to copy

9mmCensor
02-05-05, 05:47 PM
Hahaha.

Zalman got ripped.

Radical
02-05-05, 05:49 PM
Wow, they really do copy everything. The Reserator is still better though since its pump is actually inside the reservoir, which cuts down on pump noise.

TimoneX
02-05-05, 05:50 PM
Nary a creative bone in their bodies over there.

Seven
02-05-05, 05:52 PM
WAIT UP

Aluminum Radiator
Copper Waterblock

Can somebody say CORROSION? I can only wait until somebody starts that up with distilled water.

9mmCensor
02-05-05, 05:54 PM
WAIT UP

Aluminum Radiator
Copper Waterblock

Can somebody say CORROSION? I can only wait until somebody starts that up with distilled water.

This is thermaltake. of cource its gonna suck

magick_man
02-05-05, 08:49 PM
gee is it just me or have i seen that design somewhere before...

~Magick_Man~

Aphex_Tom_9
02-05-05, 09:21 PM
L M A O !!!
that's part of why i dont like TT too much...

Mattew0
02-05-05, 09:22 PM
w0w....that thing looks so stupid....its not even the pretty blue...=P, and the top has a plastic-ish cap.....wouldnt that make cooling a little bit more difficult?
whatever they are all crazy monkeys over there i guess....

Radical
02-05-05, 09:28 PM
More TT rip-offs:

http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/a1994circlefire/circlefire.htm - I'm sure Cooler Master loves this

http://www.thermaltake.com/demo/cl-p0086beetle/cl-p0086.htm - No, it's not a Beetle, it's a Bettle. That's right, I said Bettle.

ONE
02-05-05, 09:35 PM
Lol.....the duplicators, I wouldnt buy that anyway.....

ONE
02-05-05, 09:41 PM
The name says it all.........Thermaltakers

Sentential
02-05-05, 09:43 PM
woohoo they ripped off another design
ROFL.... I wonder if it comes with vibrating action. If so TT needs to sit and spin!...dirty con-artists

g0dM@n
02-05-05, 10:00 PM
I want watercooling :(

Aphex_Tom_9
02-05-05, 10:02 PM
I want watercooling :(
...how about a system that doubles as a 'pleasure toy' ...? eh?

magick_man
02-05-05, 10:11 PM
...how about a system that doubles as a 'pleasure toy' ...? eh?
well from the looks of it they took your idea right out of your mouth.....

~Magick_Man~

Alacritan
02-06-05, 12:07 AM
Holy crap. Doesn't anyone patent their designs anymore? Zalman, Cooler Master, ASUS even...and the thing is, people on this very forum STILL buy TT crap. I can't imagine that Reserator ripoff will perform half as well as the real deal. I wonder if the inside of it is even annodized?

Sentential
02-06-05, 12:10 AM
I wonder if the inside of it is even annodized?
Nope, probly not. See that would actually be beneficial and it costs money. You honestally think TT wants to spend money on beneficial things? Hell no lol.

Remember this is coming from a company that puts an blue LED in their RBX ripoff block

Aphex_Tom_9
02-06-05, 12:36 AM
ive really lost my respect for them...
how do they get away with this $h*t!?

Spion
02-06-05, 12:45 AM
ive really lost my respect for them...
my same thoughts. i would never buy that.... zalman's looks better too IMO.

MameXP
02-06-05, 02:05 AM
because in taiwan duplicating is the way to compete. There is no creative, only duplicator. You know the big man in taiwan you can get away with anything

weapon
02-06-05, 05:26 AM
lol - teh aluminum thermal schlong. I was afraid to click the "enlarged view" button...

Ven0m
02-06-05, 09:09 AM
Ah, these Thermaltake coolers :)
Topic really describes that "teh new innovative cooling solution". I've got no idea if Tharmal-rip-off should be remembered for copying stuff or being funny.
Great post, deathBOB :clap:
Thermaltake - the proud owner of "the biggest one" on planet.

ONE
02-06-05, 11:42 AM
lol - teh aluminum thermal schlong. I was afraid to click the "enlarged view" button...

LMAO........a man that has learned from experience.....lol ;)

creepy
02-06-05, 02:49 PM
UV sensitive 500 cc High performance Coolant x2

What a joke. I never knew that water+uv dye+whatever was a "high performance coolant".

Ven0m
02-06-05, 02:54 PM
What a joke. I never knew that water+uv dye+whatever was a "high performance coolant".

Water itself is pretty high performance coolant; they could even pee to it. With shape of this cooler that would be pretty logical - beware! :D If someone managed to make urine glow in UV light, potential buyers have reasons to worry :D

And weapon - I second that :clap:

Psycho Russian
02-06-05, 03:02 PM
They stoll my STAR ICE
>:-|

Spartacus51
02-06-05, 03:33 PM
Well just because ripping on TT is fun I'll throw my hat into the game.

"Coolant: High performance coolant with functions of water quality steadying, water scale reducing, anti-freezing and anti-rusting"

while all of this is subject to jab, I'm most interested in the last part. Exactly which part in the copper/aluminum/acrylic setup is the anti-rusting a benefit? Coulda sworn rust is one of the iron things... not often found in WC setups.

Ven0m
02-06-05, 03:40 PM

"Coolant: High performance coolant with functions of water quality steadying, water scale reducing, anti-freezing and anti-rusting"

while all of this is subject to jab, I'm most interested in the last part. Exactly which part in the copper/aluminum/acrylic setup is the anti-rusting a benefit? Coulda sworn rust is one of the iron things... not often found in WC setups.

There's copper oxidation in water rigs. If you mix metals with different potentials, there's even more of it. They used alu radiator and copper water block - that would result in some serious oxidation, if there's no anti-rust stuff.

As big part of water rigs has only copper and plastic, this problem is seriously minimized. Copper / brass mixing is pretty safe too. Mixing copper and alu in one part is a BAD idea. They might appear in spearate parts, but only with water addictives that prevent oxidation. This problem may appear for people who use car radiators, as they're made of aluminum. So there might appear some tarnish on metal parts, when there's no prevention.

TimoneX
02-06-05, 03:44 PM

True that, but don't tell them I'm sure they'd like to retain this product's prodigious resistance to rust as a key selling point. Particularly since it has so few other selling points.

Now if you'll excuse me I've been putting off de-rusting my water cooling setup for quite long enough. :p

gl4ss
02-06-05, 03:53 PM
Holy crap. Doesn't anyone patent their designs anymore? Zalman, Cooler Master, ASUS even...and the thing is, people on this very forum STILL buy TT crap. I can't imagine that Reserator ripoff will perform half as well as the real deal. I wonder if the inside of it is even annodized?

there isn't much there that they could get a valid, good patent on.

like, what would they have patented from using the reservoir as a passive radiator? it had been done publicly wayyyy before zalman got into doing it so there would have flown that patent out. the looks aren't exact 1:1 either.

as to thermaltake.. they make stuff that posers want to buy for cheap - and they do it pretty well.

anyhow.. innovatek has their own 'reserator' as well, i don't know if it came before zalmans or not - http://www.innovatek.de/contentServ/3.0/www.innovatek.de/index.php?StoryID=767

and as to other points.. the fluid is to stop the corrosion in the system while being alu+copper. the thing isn't all bad but i guess the partyline is to bash tt for making stuff that lamers want to buy.

TimoneX
02-06-05, 04:02 PM
Practically everyone I know that's into water cooling uses a copper waterblock and yes <gasp> an aluminum radiator. Now being from an industrial electricity background, like many others, I'm well aware of the effects of using copper and aluminum in close proximity as in twisting copper and aluminum wires together long-term. Just the same in a water cooling setup the prevention of bacteria is of far greater concern IMO than any special reaction that will take place between your aluminum radiator and copper water block. It's a question of credibility, if they meant anti-corrosion they should've said so. Saying anti-rust sounds silly when you're talking about non-ferrous metals.

Ven0m
02-06-05, 04:10 PM
That innovatek thing looks way better than Zalman :clap:

TimoneX - agreed. There's some tarnish on copper, but that's not that iron rust. Tharmaltake only shows lack of professionalism.

deathBOB
02-06-05, 05:17 PM
I believe the innovatek thingy has been out for a while... Looks kinda nice, kinda like some industrial sculpture...

jamesavery22
02-07-05, 01:06 PM
and there are these:
http://www.wetandchillychips.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=29&osCsid=e9122adb06dd762683ff2e5b0996a800

I dunno who ripped it off first. I ripped one of my setups from the reserator so I cant say much.

g0dM@n
02-07-05, 01:32 PM
Is there a tutorial thingy to build your own water cooling system? I've been thinking about it, but don't really know the specifics... yes, I know I need blocks, pump, radiator and whatnot... is there a link or something? Thanks.

jamesavery22
02-07-05, 01:54 PM
Is there a tutorial thingy to build your own water cooling system? I've been thinking about it, but don't really know the specifics... yes, I know I need blocks, pump, radiator and whatnot... is there a link or something? Thanks.

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=127

:confused:

Jas
02-07-05, 02:27 PM
Passive Cooling is nothing new, so I can't say they ripped off the idea. But TT definately does go the looks over effectivness route on virtually all of their products (which does not say all their products looks good!).

It's mass marketing of performance type products which generaly results in a scaling down of the effectiveness of said product for a more user acceptable look, price, and or feel. This is true for virtually any product that is high performance peice of equipment. Take cars for example, technically you CAN go to WAL-MART and get some aftermarket acessories for your car. Good idea? Probably not, but hey, we are a society of give it to me now, make it look flashy, and tell me lots of buzz words so I feel good about my purchase.

Just be glad they don't make Chipsets....

Just imagine the TT BIOS.......

Ven0m
02-07-05, 02:35 PM
Just imagine the TT BIOS.......
:clap:
That would be definietly unstable, glow in dark, was UV-reactive, advertised to be something unique, while being poor ripoff. And of course - it would have to be heavy and noisy :D

TimoneX
02-07-05, 02:41 PM
...probably smell bad too.

Sentential
02-07-05, 02:44 PM
TT is such a joke. Their PR dept must be filled with 14 year old kids or something. Who would buy such crap?

TimoneX
02-07-05, 02:53 PM
<sigh> I did <bows head in shame>

*BUT* it was a TT venus heatsink with my neo2/3200+ combo and it was only a couple $$$ more than a stock heatsink. Does seem to work very slightly better than the stocker, but with these wacky temp readings who really knows. Well anyway it sits on a shelf since I'm on water.

Jas
02-07-05, 03:16 PM
most of their Air cooled products aren't horrible, some actually perform half way decent. But generaly speaking you can buy much better for the same amount of money, if not less.

Personally I'm glad to see more companies getting on the WC bandwagon, the only problem is how some of these lowercost, "entry level" systems are being marketed (cough TT cough). If you just want a virtually silent cooling solution, and don't care about extreme performance, hey fine, but you should be abel to tell what types os WC solution fall into that category. With TT, average "joe I just started getting into computer modding/overclocking" is going to think things like the Big Water, or this phallis are "performance" cooling kits.

Thats why I don't like TT. It perfectly OK to make a lower performing WC product AS LONG it is targeted to the appropriate audience. I know plenty of people who could care less about having their CPU running 2 degrees above room temp, or overclocking their system. But who would think a silent coolnig solution would be nifty.

TT seems to think they can crap in a box, slap some nifty buzzwords on said box, coat it in some LED lights, provide a rheostat, and they have a high performnce product.

Ven0m
02-07-05, 03:25 PM
Good words and
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

orionlion82
02-09-05, 01:50 AM
shamless cross post, ouch!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3439265
ps, nice av Venom!

Ven0m
02-09-05, 03:11 AM
shamless cross post, ouch!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3439265
ps, nice av Venom!

Oh, thanks, I love Hellsing - what a pity that there are only 13 parts :)
That TT cooler give many associations, but I like this the best :D

g0dM@n
02-09-05, 06:28 PM
You can't knock down TT... I think their cheaper socket A copper heatsinks are good for the money.

veryhumid
02-09-05, 06:32 PM
http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/cl-w0011rocket/cl-w0011.htm

Lol...

I love how they don't even show a vid card in it because it would looked so packed. and who said put the pump on the inside? wouldn't drilling be required?

1 post at this forum and they might have a design that is much for functional. i won't hold my breath.

felinusz
02-09-05, 08:29 PM

Because no one views them as a big enough threat, to bother wasting time sueing them all the way to Micronesia, for copyright infringement?

Thermaltake is one of those companies that will be around for a looooooong time. Unfortunately.

g0dM@n
02-10-05, 01:06 AM
Let's not read into this COPYING issue too much. Everyone learns from others. It's part of everyday life... it's part of competition. Without situations like this, then there would almost be no such thing as variety.

So you guys think that the first car company that made a car with FOUR wheels should be the only one who gets to do that? Does every other company have to make cars with < 4, or > 4 wheels? Come on, guys. Think about this in a less 'based on details/looks' manner. We all wear a shirt, pants, underwear, and socks. Do I now have to stop wearing clothes the way I do just b/c someone else did it first???

Don't look into what I said too much. I'm just making my point. Who cares... this is how life goes... you sometimes HAVE to learn/copy what others have already created. That is the ONLY way technology and life may progress.

Goodnight. I'm sleepy...

jenkx
02-10-05, 03:39 AM
Wow. i guess the rule they live by is, "Why re-invent the wheel?" It does look cool. I like the color better than Zilman’s blue but the copycats should be reprimanded.

svnrd
02-10-05, 04:38 AM
There's copper oxidation in water rigs. If you mix metals with different potentials, there's even more of it. They used alu radiator and copper water block - that would result in some serious oxidation, if there's no anti-rust stuff.

by building a WC unit with this problem, they now have people with money and no clue about computers by the groin. they have to keep buying TT coolant with the magical "anti-rust stuff" to ensure that it works properly.

DaWiper
02-10-05, 04:58 AM
We should have a poll where we could vote for what product we think TT would copy next... :D
I would vote for xp90/xp120/SI97.

Ven0m
02-10-05, 07:03 AM
We should have a poll where we could vote for what product we think TT would copy next... :D
I would vote for xp90/xp120/SI97.

Naaah - there's a thread on normal Cooling subforum about penny heatsinks - some people think that's cool - a good thing for TT to copy :D

And more serious - personally I doubt that they'll copy one of these "as is". I'm rather towards some variations of "tower" style.