• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A difference Between Dual channel or just "paired"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilCloudStrife

R. Kelly is my roll model
I am getting a new system and i was wondering if the ram i bought was dual channel or just a set. is there even a difference at all? this is the ram i bought and i am really wondering if this is "dual channel" or not at all.. i just have no idea, help me please... i will show you the motherboard i bought, it is right here

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-068&depa=0

and this is the ram i bought that i have the question about...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-037&depa=0

and just for the heck of it, here is the cpu

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-502&depa=1

any insight would be wonderful, thank you... and BTW, i am new to the fou :thup: rm

well its says in the description that its dual channel ram,so it is.as for the difference the dual channel has been tested to work together in dual channel and the single ram hasnt.so if you just buy 2 identical sticks theres no garante you will be able to run dual without errors.I have 2 identical pieces of ram that were bought at different times and it wont do dual at default speeds without errors but in single channel it works perfectly.

okay, well thats the thing on newegg it does say that it is dual channel but i looked it up on the website and it is not under the dual channal catagory. i will show you..

go to

http://www.pdpsys.com/

look at the 3 catagorys they have there.. the memory i have is the signature, not the dual channel or the "extreme performance"

the kind i am getting is the psd1g400kh..

so this is what i am talking about, any ideas guys?

maybe newegg has it listed wrong ..you should get in contact with them and if it isnt dual then they should give you a refund or substitute as it is their mistake.Im not familiar with patriot ram maybe somebody else can shed some light on it.

welcome to the forums my friend.. the a64 is good,but please consider the dfi nforce4 ultra mb. it is absolutely the klockers dream.. pair that up with some gkill pc4400le with tccd chips.. right now above setup is a maniac's dream...

flapperhead said:
welcome to the forums my friend.. the a64 is good,but please consider the dfi nforce4 ultra mb. it is absolutely the klockers dream.. pair that up with some gkill pc4400le with tccd chips.. right now above setup is a maniac's dream...
i second that. if your going to overclock you winnie i wouldn't reccomend any board that has a via chipset. if i wasn't overclocking then i might consider buying a via, but only if it was cheaper than an nforce with the same features. also remeber that if you get the DFI mobo you can do the mod to make it an NF4 SLI ;)

is a maniacs dream? explain.. well, the reason i am getting this motherboard over the nforce4 is because this motherboard uses my PSU 20-pin connector as opposed to the nforce 4s 24-pin connector.. i am happy with my buy.. i am just wondering if this whole dual channal is a gimmick and really any of the same ram tested together is considered dual channel... thats the way it is seeming to me right now

EvilCloudStr said:
is a maniacs dream? explain.. well, the reason i am getting this motherboard over the nforce4 is because this motherboard uses my PSU 20-pin connector as opposed to the nforce 4s 24-pin connector.. i am happy with my buy.. i am just wondering if this whole dual channal is a gimmick and really any of the same ram tested together is considered dual channel... thats the way it is seeming to me right now

Physically, nothing about a stick of RAM makes it dual channel or not. Dual channel is a function of the on-die memory controller of your CPU, the A64. When you buy a "dual channel kit" of RAM, you are buying two sticks which have been tested together in a dual channel configuration. They are guaranteed to be compatible together. You could just as easily buy two separate, but identical, sticks of RAM and run them in dual channel. But if you did that, they wouldn't be tested and guaranteed to work together. It's generally a good idea to go with the dual channel "kit".

Wonderful, thank you for the information. that was all i needed to know.. btw, i will update everyone on how well my system performs. i am getting very excited. i am waiting till my parts ship.. i will probably have them on wendsday.. i can barely stand it.. it is so exciting!!! :attn:

Back