• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Booster and Asus P4C800E DLX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi, ive been having probs with my booster. It wouldnt change voltages so i got it rmaed.... the new one has the same prob, so i figure it must be the memory slot on the board itself. I currently have it in 2b, but can i put the booster in 2a?

eg

****** Ram 1
-------- open (can I put the booster here?)
****** Ram 2
-------- open (booster is currently here)

Not sure if you can use slot 2A but I have a similiar board to yours, the Asus P4P800-E DLX and I use the last slot 2B without any problems. Im sure someone else will input on this.

After RMAing my 1st Booster, I found the problem with the boosters. It's the Potentiometer (knob). They must be using a cheap one. All you have to do is start the computer up and firmly press on the knob, tourd or away from the board, untill you see the display register. Then when you know the direction to move it, apply a little more pressure each time until the set voltage stays. I think I'm gonna replace my pot after I find the range of it. I'm sure Radio Shack has a better one. I might even put it on the bottom of my case, where it's easier to reach and just run wires up to the Booster. Try my suggestion, just be careful not to break it!

the booster only works when i push the booster to the side... the voltage jumps up to what i set it as.... as soon as I stop pushing it, the voltage goes back to 2.8v

ya, i physicallypush it towards the edge of the motherboard and it works.. I took it out, and placed it back in a few times and its the same prob. I was having this prob with my old booster and I sent it back to ocz cause i thought something was wrong with it.

my psu supports it... didnt make that mistake twice (had an enermax before).

The ocz booster used to work properly with my current setup. I dont know why its not working as it should.

It does sound like the pot is not working. If you guys are looking to add a new pot all you need is a 10K 20turn pot which you can get from any radio shack or similar store. Vio1 if you want your booster RMA'd just email support again and they will send you another

SteveOCZ said:
It does sound like the pot is not working. If you guys are looking to add a new pot all you need is a 10K 20turn pot which you can get from any radio shack or similar store. Vio1 if you want your booster RMA'd just email support again and they will send you another

Without hard data, but just based on reading posts on the Booster it appears that a large number of RMAs on this product (and there seem to be alot) are almost always related to the pot not working properly. It has even been suggested by at least one OCZ rep to just swap it out and you've just done the same thing (suggest swapping it out...and voiding the warranty).

This begs the question...wouldn't it be cheaper for OCZ to change the specs and put a better pot in the Booster to begin with? I can't believe that what is saved on the cost of the pot is sufficient to offset the RMA costs and the poor reliability rep that the Booster is getting.

Are there any plans for such a revision?

My friend's mom works at OCZ and we're usually testing for her. I just got a DDR Booster to test and it worked pretty well except for the pot. I've already told her about this problem so maybe they'll do something about it. For now though, I'm just putting some electrical tape to hold it down.

-1cem4n

Back