• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i want to have a certain key sequence launch a program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shrinkydinx

theres this guy that always gets on my computer, and checks his email and screws around without asking. i would like to have a program launch (or a password protected screen saver :D ) whenever a certain key sequence is typed in (it would specifically be his email address login) so that he gets blocked.

anyone have any suggestions?

i'm sure you can make a script for that that runs in the background.... and if you woulda asked years ago... i coulda told ya how (i was a mac guy until 1997).... but i never learned how to code a 'run on *this*' script for windows...

you can set a password protected screen saver by:

right clicking on desktop
choosing properties
then through the screensaver option, set up a password.

*edit, this works for pc, and i didn't see any mac reference until the second post.

The problem with screen saver passwords it that all you have to do is reboot and your in. If you are running XP you can just password your logon. I do that with my computer and it works pretty well. You need to enter the PW to logon.

oso_fast said:
you can set a password protected screen saver by:

right clicking on desktop
choosing properties
then through the screensaver option, set up a password.

*edit, this works for pc, and i didn't see any mac reference until the second post.

i know how to do that, i just need a program that will launch it after a certain sequence of keys.

and, i dont know how to write scripts, so
dunno.gif

shrinkydinx said:
i know how to do that, i just need a program that will launch it after a certain sequence of keys.

and, i dont know how to write scripts, so
dunno.gif

i dont know how to do that.. but i used to know a guy who cud do such a thing using visual basec and c++

anyways.. it wont work this way, cuz ur friend may misstype his login, hit backspace and then rewrite it, this way its useless.. think of another way ;)

maybe try and make him a guest account and leave nothing in the reach of his messy hands???? :cool:

Back