• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows locking up hard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schnikies79

I'm having a problem with windows locking up hard, where you can't move the mouse or anything. I have narrowed it down to when i'm using sound. iTunes, wmp and flash files from the web cause it. I've tried reinstalling the sound drivers, then chipset drivers, raid drivers, video drivers. Pretty much everything except a re-install. I know that I have low voltage on my 12v rail, but it's been that way for a while (several months) and I haven't had this problem. I have a new PS on the way from newegg but was wondering if there is anything else I might try before I reinstall windows along with the PS. Oh yea, I have also ran memtest with no problems.

Specs:
xp sp2
onboard c-media sound
newest bios
all newest drivers

Nothing is overclocked and ram timings are stock.
Thanks,
Dayton

Have you tried a system repair? It could be something along the lines of windows screwing when accessing the file(yes I know its music player that opens it). Though it is windows which tells what files to play where. Other then that I owuld hope for best on PSU.

Im having the same issue. Check your powersupply levels. So far ive narrowed down to a bad board. Im going to ditch this POS in favor of an Epox or Gigabyte

Well I ran checkdisk and it showed no problems but when I ran a segate diagnostic tools proggie it showed the drives themselves as being fine but gave some file structure errors. I'm checking it out now with norton systemworks, hopefully it can straighten it out.

I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard, any suggestions? I want to make sure it has raid, onboard firewire and decent sound.

Dayton

Well disk doctor shows problems with the index but when it schedules a scan at startup it just loads chkdsk and it finds no errors. Any alternative that can be scheduled at startup?

Dayton

how often do you get these freezes? you might need to setup your AGP manually in your BIOS hoever it might be your mobo dying and you getting these what look like hardware freezes

To test your hardware Use Linux knoppix if everything runs ok after playing bunch of vidoes then your system is ok
I recommend the postcard just to make sure you got nothing burned

Right now my system is doing that & i had to underclock to just keep it running

Check the capacitors! Sad, but true, there has been a rash of bad capacitor reports with Soyo motherboards. Hopefully not as much as with Epox and MSI.

If ANY capacitor is bulging and/or leaking, you found the cause!!!

http://badcaps.net

Thats a great idea with the linux live cd, i'm going to try that out. As for the capacitators, they all look good. I have a copy of knoppix std but i can't find it so i'm downloading knoppix live. Ill get back on here after i've ran it for a while.

Thanks,
Dayton

I couldn't lock it up in knoppix so I guess it's windows. I hate reinstalling, it's the suck.

Dayton

Back