• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair revisited: wow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

mmmm yea. wow ha ha. I was pretty dissappointed in my memory since it would'nt do well in 2-2-2 *208 mhz* and it would'nt do particularly well in 2.5-3-3 either *253 mhz*. of course, 3-4-4 kinda sucked too with a top end of like.. 264 mhz in dual channel... omg suck.
anway. i kinda wanted to test out my sticks tonight for no real reason, to see if they are in fact any different in performence.
I have a pair of Corsair PC3200XLPT 512 mb dimms. i baught them seperatly to save money at the time. I couldnt afford like $360 for memory at the time, not all at once.
One is rev 1.1 which is the first tccd memory like... ever. the second is a 1.2 stick which i ordered about a month and half later.

the 1.1 stick does 2-2-2 excellent, but wont run higher than 210 on those timings. it also runs the rated 2.5-3-3 at ddr 500 np. but what really buggered me, is that it wont run higher than 260 mhz at all. regardless of timings..
enter stick 2... the 1.2 stick which is rumoured to have better tccd chips, a different board and just generally better overall.

corsair.jpg

This is single channel, testing the stick itself. htt 300, htx3, fid=7. memory 3-4-4-10 1T @2.85 volts. it is 3dmark stable, nfsu2 stable and folding stable. of course i have these issues with prime 95 taking like... 20 hours to do 3 tests so i will leave that overnight to see how it works but damn.. im impressed.
Just when i thought i had mellons, turns out i have gold.
Im gonna test my 1.1 again to see how she fares by herself. the fastest i got this up to was 308 at 1t. i can also try out 2t speed but i think the voltage limits of the neo2 will own me there.

Interresting!

Very interresting, I am waiting for my 1 gig of the black version.
I sould be getting them tomorrow.
Where can I see if it's version 1.1 or 1.2?

If u could tell me witch memory setting is better and gets higher score with 3D mark 05 or PC mark 04

3dmark 05 scores change very little with faster cpu or memory, i would have to suffer through the putrid frame rates on my 9800 and no one wants that ha ha. i could download pcmark though for you.
I havent tried running these sticks in 2t yet, but ill get to that another time. 300mhz is unstable, 299 is more stable but probably still a little high for 1t. kinda tempted to get myself a second 1.2 now heh.. ill play around with my 1.1 tommorrow, and do a direct comparison more detail on like... wednesday or somthing. i work too much and all i wanna do when i get off at like 3 am is play ro.. and get like... 4% toward my lv 99..

*edit* sorry for not answering your question ^^;;. the revision number is on the sticker in the rop right. its actully a lot bolder on the 1.2
the pcb is a little smaller too it seems. a few mm shorter so the heatspreader overlaps it a bit.

Just an update on this memory.

I got a chance to thoroughly test this memory individiually this morning. was meaning to do it for a while so im glad i finally got to it ^^;;.
I have a Neo 2 which is giving me some guff. I tested the single channel configurations with a 7x multi to make sure my cpu was not the possible culprit of a reboot. I tested with sandra and 3dmark 01. Moved the clock gen htt speed up in incriments of 2 untill sandra failed. every 5 mhz i tested using 3dmark 2001.
surely, these results are not 100% accurate as to the memory's stability at these speeds, but i think it gives a resonable look at what it can do with 2.8 volts, the limits of the msi k8n neo2.

Corsair XMS512-3200XLPT - 1.1
2-2-2 = 214 mhz
2-3-3 = 240 mhz
2.5-3-3 = 266 mhz

Corsair XMS512-3200XLPT - 1.2
2-2-2 = 228mhz
2-3-3 =249 mhz
2.5-3-3 =296 mhz!

All tests were at 2.8 volts. I wanted to test out this memory in 2.5-4-4 too but the results were the same. same for 3-4-4. this memory doesnt seem to do a lot better with reduced timings at all. but what amazed me is that not only was my 1.2 stick able to reach ddr 4400 on cas 2.5.. but it was able to reach nearly ddr 4800 on 2.5-3-3!. most sticks in this class are running 2.5-4-4 and these timigns did nothing to enhance my single channel oc. its possible im limited by the board though. i have been hearing msi's suck *** for htt 300 or more.

In dual channel, well i kinda got what i was expecting.. more or less as fast as my slowest stick.

2-2-2 = 212 mhz
2-3-3 = 235 mhz
2.5-3-3 = 262 mhz

3-4-4 also did nothing for me here. it is kind of unfortunate how my cpu multi doesnt work properly with dual it seems. If i lowered it on single channel there was no problem. the memory performed as expected but in dual, reducing the multi reduced memory performence by a lot. at least i know me chip runs 2.6 =D

anyway, just a blurb for anyone who has this stuff and is curious about it. I might pick up a booster to see if bolts help my 1.2.
Im thinking of ordering another one to match it, hopefully this will increase my dual channel performence a little bit.
Pressently, i find 233 2-3-3 dual channel to be just perfect. it runs my cpu at 2330 mhz and keeps the memory tight.

Back