• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC error, memory issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artimus20

Registered
i finally got my hands on a mobile 2500+ processor i was playing with it last night and at 2300 i ran Aqumark3D and was getting the error message below. i changed my RAM timings to 2.5-3-3-10 and everything seemed to be stable, it ran a bunch of benchmarks tools without fail. when i moved up the multiplier to 12x200= 2400, i started getting that error again in aquamark3d. i'm assuming it's my Kingston memory, not the best for OC'ing?? what if i add a bit of voltage??

Attachments

• aquamark3d error.doc
    35 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
what multi and fsb were u running before u upped it to 12x200? if you were running 11.5x200, then it wouldnt be a problem with the ram because it ran fine @ 200 already. it would most likely be a that u need to give your cpu a small bump in voltage .

11.5 x 200
1.65 v

one thing i noticed at this setting, i can run Aquamark3d, 3dmark2001, 03, 05, but i can't run Prime95 for more than a minute without errors. this is another reason that leads me to think my RAM is holding me back.

I agree with Drew. Try increasing the vcore. At that clock it is likely that the cpu needs it. Good luck with it.

2300 max :(

well, i tried many different settings, and the max stable OC i can get is 2300 :(
i was hoping for more. my RAM does not like anything over 200 fsb. i can't set the multiplier any higher than 11.5. guess i'll have to wait for better RAM and cooling, unless their are any other suggestions? my current settings:
2.5-3-3-10
11.5x200=2300
1.7 v

Why don't you pinpoint your RAM breakpoint by using memtest and tweaking? That way you will know if it is your RAM or CPU limiting the OC.

well, didn't have memtest to test with so i tried Prime95 for now. it ran for about 20 min. then rebooted the system. so i wasn't able to see the results. is there a benchmark that just test's the cpu? i tried the Sandra cpu test and it worked fine but i'm not sure how good that test is. 1 thing for sure i need better cooling to give it more volts, at 1.75 v i get warnings saying the cpu diode is too hot. it's running semi-stable now at:
200x11.5=2300
2.5-3-3-10
1.67 v

i will try memtest tonight. not sure wich one, there is memtest86 and memtest? if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to add...
thanks.

finally figured out that my Kingston Value Ram WILL NOT run stable at 200mhz?? it's pc3200 (ddr400), should it not be able to handle 200 fsb ?? this is very disapointing. i'm running stable at 195x12= 2340, 1.72 v. i guess i'll have to save up for better RAM.... :(

It will probably run stable at 1:1 at 200 but not with the divider set to 166. I had this same issue with two older sticks of HyperX. In fact with the divider at 133 it would not run over 160. How old is the ram? I found a big difference between 2 older and 2 newer sticks of HyperX. When I contacted Kingston they said they recommended runing them at 1:1. (Guess who won't be buying Kingston ram any more?) In all honesty it's not just Kingston. This seems to be an issue on the A64 with lesser ram.

rseven said:
It will probably run stable at 1:1 at 200 but not with the divider set to 166. I had this same issue with two older sticks of HyperX. In fact with the divider at 133 it would not run over 160. How old is the ram? I found a big difference between 2 older and 2 newer sticks of HyperX. When I contacted Kingston they said they recommended runing them at 1:1. (Guess who won't be buying Kingston ram any more?) In all honesty it's not just Kingston. This seems to be an issue on the A64 with lesser ram.

just bought the RAM in november. now when you say 1:1 you mean 100% in the bios setting correct? cause i tried this and still no go :( ya i won't buy this RAM anymore. the minute i get some cash i'm looking at OCZ or Corsair.

Yes, 100% is 1:1. If it doesn't perform at those specs it may be faulty Kingston does have a lifetime warranty. You might want to contact their support. They have a toll free number at their website. If they can't advise you on how to get it to run properly they should replace it. They're really not a bad company and the value ram has a reputation as being a good product for the bucks.

Artimus20 said:
finally figured out that my Kingston Value Ram WILL NOT run stable at 200mhz?? it's pc3200 (ddr400), should it not be able to handle 200 fsb ?? this is very disapointing. i'm running stable at 195x12= 2340, 1.72 v. i guess i'll have to save up for better RAM.... :(

I had an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and wasn't able to OC stabily beyond 195 mhz, which is the exact maximum but that was with Kingston ValueRAM PC2700 DDR SDRAM.

The Kingston PC2700 DDR SDRAM I have has Infineon chips and the size is 512 MB.

I'm suspicious that you may have gotten jipped and got PC2700 DDR SDRAM instead!

Because even my PC2700 DDR SDRAM can OC to 195 mhz stabily!

forgot i was running the asus bios :bang head .... i flashed to the trats cpc-off bios and i'm happy to say i'm running stable at 200x12.0= 2400! i was definately beginning to think it was my RAM. soemtimes it's the simplest things. of course, now i have to see how far it will go.... :D

Back