• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows xp pro oem boot lock up 99% - HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swifter

Registered
Windows xp pro oem boot lock up 99% - THANKS!!

Short version. Upgraded 2k pro...downloaded new updates/drivers...installed/ran norton from disk...reboot hung up in XP black screen

Tried:
-recover earlier times
-reformat
-changing out ram
-replacing mobo battery
-checking connections
-running only one HD
-running one HD as slave, then the other

I refuse to reinstall again! :bang head

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Swift

Last edited:
It will boot in safe mode. Sometimes, but very rarely and not lately, it would boot froom the safe mode prompt screen, by selecting last config or even normal windows.

For a while b/c of upgrades, the restarts worked like a charm. Then, after replacing the mobo battery...I got brave and did a full shut down :cry:

I think this is part the blame: -700 MHz AMD Athlon processor with Enhanced 3DNow! technology 200 MHz system bus

I don't think a 700Mhz athlon has the power you need to be running XP pro.
Have you tried reseting the Bios to the minimum defaults?
Have you considered the power supply requirements?
I've had systems that would fail durring boot because of weak PSU.

The athlon 700 isn't the problem. I installed XP pro on a p3 550 with 256mb ram and p3 600 with 512mb ram with no problems. It might be a little slow but it works fine.

Dayton

the 700Mhz is more than enough to run WinXP. I'm bettin' he has a service, driver, or other software that loads on boot that is messed up. Do a boot to safemode, and take note of where it fails at, if it fails. That will help us out a lot in diagnosing the problem.

The boot hang up is on the XP logo black screen with the blue cursor running from left to right...the cursor eventually stops.

If you meant something else, like a diagnostic in safe mode to id the problem, could you tell me how?

*assuming you know how to go into safe mode*

1. try booting into safemode, and take note of where it fails, and let us know.
2. if that doesn't work, there should be a mode that lets you boot into a diagnostic (i may be mistaken... its been a while since i Safemoded)
3. Try running a repair install of windows.
4. if that still doesn't work.... you're not using a big enough hammer.

Ok, yes I can boot into safe mode. It never fails or hasn't yet. It is the normal mode that fails.

I'll try the repair install and see what happens.

ok. that settles it. you have a service, driver, or software bug. in safemode, msconfig, turn off all programs that load up in the background (the right most tab).... then go to the services tab, click on 'hide all microsoft services, then turn off all the non microsoft services.

boot.

it should boot correctly.

then, slowly turn on one service at a time (should be no more than 5 or 6 non-MS services)....

if it works with all of those, it was one of your background progs that load on windows start.

Ok, I'll give it a try after work. I am thinking, it has to be norton, b/c there shouldn't be anything else in start up yet.

Do as TollhouseFrank suggested...

If that doesn't work

try removing your drivers and updates... If it works after that reinstall just the drivers, reboot, then update...

Hope everything goes well...

doing what i suggested puts the onus of blame on another program or service. if it doesn't work after all that, then the blame falls to either too high of an OC, or some kinda screwed up MS bug

TollhouseFrank said:
doing what i suggested puts the onus of blame on another program or service.

This would eliminate a lot of the possible causes (software problems, third party services problems, etc) for the lock up. Windows updates like service packs- adds, removes or modifies(enables disables) MS services among other things. So removing those could help.

Would you believe it was my an entry for my modem in services

Well I'm off to compaq.com to find the pctel xp driver(s).

My question, and by the way thanks, is what service did it provide, if I can still dial-up :sn:

Swift

when you boot into windows go to the control panel then got to administrative tools and open event viewer, this contein a couple of logs that will look for reported errors and double click on it to see what caused it.

Update

Hanging application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

This was in the event log about the time I was rebooting and running different scenarios of msconfig.

Everything is fine now. Only I have a new XP problem/question....see new post

Thanks everybody,

Swift

Back