• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP startup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildMonkey

I hope one of you can help me with this.

When I startup the computer and windows xp sp2 loads everything seems normal.

When it is "done" loading and you see your desktop with all your icons, etc... I can't use any application. I mean if I start IE or any other program nothing happens. It's like it's ignoring me. Then after a few minutes all the apps I activated pop-up all at once.

I know it is most likely stuck at the startup trying to load something that it's taking waaaaaaaayyy to long. It's a new problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

What I would try is right when you see your desktop, right click on the task bar and go to the taskmanager. Then look at processes and look for the one that is using 100 under the CPU line. That should show you what your problem app is. You can Rclick on that 100% one and end the process and see if everything is back to normal, and it also depends what that hung app is to determine what to do about it and even if you can end it without any problems.

Can't do that.
Like I said, NOTHING responds.
I've tryied bringing up the task manager but it just pop-up with everything else when the system finally starts.

I would then try and boot into safe mode (repeatedly slam F8 during startup) and either restore to previous point or type msconfig | enter into your run box and look at your start up stuff. If you do not see anything weird just start deselecting, but not your nvid drivers and such. Then restart and run some scans for spy ware/viri check your system and application logs and even start opening some aps.

Start --> run --> msconfig --> boot.ini --> check the /SOS then boot up, see if that fixes it.

Back