• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox using 80% cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I was just sat watching a dvd on my laptop (2.4ghz celeron, 256 ram) and i noticed that mbm showed my cpu temp at 70c and climbing, so i shut down the video player and it carried on rising to 80c. I looked in task manager and firefox was using 80% ! So i shut down firefdx and sure enough the cpu temp dropped back to 55c. I reopened firefox to post this and its still fine at 55c, so why would it leap up like that? I think there was one flash movie embedded in the page but surely that shouldnt take so much cpu time up.

You need better cooling lol. As for the high useage of firefox, it may have crashed (possibly a result of the high temps)

Yeah better cooling would be good, i opened the thing up to take a look at the cpu and theres some elaborate heatpipe system. I decided against messing with it, even just taking the hsf off to add some paste would be like some kind of surgery to me.

Does your celery have speed stepping? You may have been at a very low speed if you were on battery power.

I have noticed on my computer, firefox will take up 20%-ish when downloading, and even more if playing a video at the same time. So maybe a combination of downloading and video playing and cpu power settings caused it to appear as if its working harder than it should.

I had the same thing happen to me on my desktop with the pre-release version of firefox.

I uninstalled an installed release 1.0 and it went away.

Back