• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zone Alarm Firewall keeps taking up more memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Well I noticed that the longer Zone Alarm runs for the greater ammount of system memory it takes up. At one point today it was at 240,000 K's :eek:. Clearly this is not acceptable. If I shutdown the program and restart it, it takes up about 6,000k and then slowly climbs back up. It has almost doubled now to 12k in about 2 mins.

Any idea how to stop this from climbing like this? Is this just how this firewall works? I mean this can not be an acceptable sideeffect of this program.

Any idea's on what to do?

edit: ok now 30 minutes later it has climbed up to 43,000 K. This is just with some web-browsing.

Last edited:
never thought any1 is still using ZoneAlarm anymore.. its very bugged program that does nothing but trouble..

i use either 2 choices:

- BlackIce: damn powerful firewall wont let itself uninstall lol
- mcafee firewall along with mcafee security center.. light and doesnt burden the PC along with very good protection.

maybe u know that but incase u dont :D

Try Sygate Personal (free version , does not expire) HERE .

Been using Sygate Pro (retail ver) for years and would not be without it .

Mud said:
never thought any1 is still using ZoneAlarm anymore.. its very bugged program that does nothing but trouble..

i use either 2 choices:

- BlackIce: damn powerful firewall wont let itself uninstall lol
- mcafee firewall along with mcafee security center.. light and doesnt burden the PC along with very good protection.

maybe u know that but incase u dont :D

You are very ill informed, Zonealarm is one of the most used free software firewalls in use today. And it works well for the majority of users.

Blackice is one of the worst firewalls on the market, go to any security site and read a comparison.

Ok well I think I might have found what the problem was. I went and bought Norton System works cause I did not like the looks of that AVG anti-virus program. Anyway I installed Norton ran the full system scan and it found 4 worm threats hidden in my computer. One of them was trying to access the internet through windows messenger and I think that is why Zonealarm kept growing.

It has been staying at a managable size now since norton has been installed.

Silversinksam said:
You are very ill informed, Zonealarm is one of the most used free software firewalls in use today. And it works well for the majority of users.

Blackice is one of the worst firewalls on the market, go to any security site and read a comparison.

in the online game i played.. 70% of the hackings were cuz of a bug with zonealarm.. isnt fixed though it was reported by many ppl..

blackice wud just prevent anything from working.. thats why i use mcafee security center.. but blackice is a good choice for the gamers of online games and prevents most of the hackings..

Back