• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have these ocz vx sticks got Winbond UTT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

Hey guys, thnx to a thread related to latencies ive seen the light... im now officialy a tight-timings-tardo :D

so money aint an issue, i want a couple of sticks that can take me to 300+MHz with anything like 2.5-3-3-6 timings or lower...

i want to play it safe so im thinking about these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-203&depa=1

have thes ocz sticks got winbond UTT modules?

have you seen any other options with guaranteed UTT ? (twinmos aint an option)

seen em cheaper?

thnx in advance

I'm not 100% sure, but i don't think winbond UTT will go over 300mhz. Your best bet is TCCD. Winbond UTT is good for tight timings @ 240-260mhz with over 3.3V. If you loosen the timings on UTT, the mhz does not increase very significanly.... I'll try to find the review I got this info from.

Edit: by tight, i mean 2-2-2

Here it is.. http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=1641&s=4

It the speed premium winbond UTT. The guy got 256mhz @ 2-2-2-5 @ 3.4V, when he went to 2.5-3-3-8, the max was still 256mhz. Very odd, but that how it is. He didn't test it @ 3-4-4-8 or anything, but I'm sure it would only go to like 265mhz.

The VX is nearly impossible to get to 300mhz. You mentioned that you are ok with 2.5-3-3-6. If this is true, then you'll be better off with TCCD. Perhaps a G.Skill LE kit? Anyway, If you are ok with around 260mhz, you can get the OCZ VX and run cas 2-2-2. On the other hand, if you want to save money, those same Winbond UTT chips are also found in the TwinMos Speed Premiums. They will run you about $140 for a gig. Should be the same stuff as in the OCZ for about a hundred bucks cheaper though. The OCZ, however, is warranted up until 3.5 volts and has the most beautiful heatspreader I've ever seen!!! :)

-Collin-

As mentioned if you want DDR600 w/ 2.5-3-3-6 1T then I believe TCCD will be your only option and even then that's asking quite alot. Many of the best TCCD sticks won't do 300Mhz with timings that tight preferring instead 2.5-4-3-6 or even 2.5-4-4-6. I believe OCZ VX at 250-270Mhz 2-2-2-6 1T will offer greater performance than TCCD at 300Mhz 2.5-4-4-6 1T and probably be on par with TCCD at 2.5-4-3-6 1T in most applications.

TimoneX said:
As mentioned if you want DDR600 w/ 2.5-3-3-6 1T then I believe TCCD will be your only option and even then that's asking quite alot. Many of the best TCCD sticks won't do 300Mhz with timings that tight preferring instead 2.5-4-3-6 or even 2.5-4-4-6. I believe OCZ VX at 250-270Mhz 2-2-2-6 1T will offer greater performance than TCCD at 300Mhz 2.5-4-4-6 1T and probably be on par with TCCD at 2.5-4-3-6 1T in most applications.

I think you are correct. That is why I bought some winbond UTT to test against my TCCD! I will post results when the come in the mail and when I figure out how to get 4 volts to them :D

-Collin-

I was hoping to conduct these tests with a VIO to vdimm mod to my neo2 unfortunately I got vile performing PSC modules. The modded board works perfectly though. The tests referenced btw are located here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364207

Further evidence that Sandra #s don't tell the whole story. Any comments or expansions on these results are most welcome.

thnx a lot guys, somebody said the a-data ram i have can reach 300MHz with 3 4 4 8 timings, maybe ill just keep these and try them out... if im not satisfied ill get the gskill

G.skill doesn't have any ram rated at 300Mhz & 2.5-3-3-6 1T timings, nor do I think it's reasonable to expect such. Even the much hyped LA modules are rated 300Mhz 2T and it looks like the 2x512 kits will start at $295ish which is definately a premium price tag.

It does appear as though the nF4 boards are getting higher clocks with TCCD than the nF3 boards are. I wonder if the same can be said of VX/UTT sticks.

Last edited:
PhobMX said:
thnx a lot guys, somebody said the a-data ram i have can reach 300MHz with 3 4 4 8 timings, maybe ill just keep these and try them out... if im not satisfied ill get the gskill

omg, now i saw the gskill they are more expensive than ocz vx!!! i might just get the ocz in the end... even more when the tccd modules have their days counted

Back