• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which memory to get your moneys worth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I'm about to build a new system with a amd 3200 winchester core CPU and was wondering which 1gb(2x512) memory to get. Either to get cheap to mid-range ddr400 memory or the cheapest ddr433 memory avaiable. Lowest price on newegg for ddr433 memory is $139 from Kingmax versus the ddr400 memory for Mushkin or Corsair for the same price. I hope to be doing some pretty decent overclocks with this setup so what would you guys do? Thanks. :burn:

Save your money and wait for the newer A64s (vinnie's, sans, etc)...they will have the strained silicon (better OCing..what the FX's use now) and SSE3 instructions...and while you are waiting for the newer's CPU to be released here shortly...save up for some good TCCD memory....A64's like TCCD and the lower latency they offer...plus you will be getting a better overclock (higher FSB/HT) with better memory bandwidth with and tighter timings

dam it, hehe i'm was gonna jump on the winnie but turned out i'm short on cash, and i won't get any money in till 4 to 5 weeks later, that's like the middle of march, puts me in a tighter situation, i don't feel like jumping on winne in the middle of march, when venice is out in june the latest, i already got the RAM, case, PSU, graphic card, but i can wait, i'll save up to get a raptor by then. woot. the waiting game just keep going on and on and on.

BTW you guys think they still sale nforce 3 boards? lol i have an AGP card, i can't go Nforce 4. i hope they don't decided to raise up the price of Nforce 3 boards by then lol

I have never heard anything great said about Kingmax. You might want to check some other retailers such as Monarch or (my favorite) zipzoomfly. This is a link to some cl2.5 from corsair.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-21
If you really want to overclock you might want to get better ram than any of the ones so far mentioned. Sometimes trying to buy cheap is just money wasted as you end up buying again. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No! HyperX is okay and it's even the least expensive TCCD out there, (if you get 2X512 3200ULK it's around $218 at zipzoomfly) but I would not suggest buying it. My ram is slightly slower HyperX that only OC's to 226MHz. That's the same ram you linked to at newegg. That's not a bad buy but but don't get it. It was a poor choice on my part so I've been shopping ram for myself the last week. If I had to suggest an inexpensive but good quality TCCD ram I say the Patriot brand. This is a link to the 2X512. A
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=140597&Category_Code=DDR-PDP
Also, are you going with a dual channel memory mobo or a single. If it's single then of course you don't need thes matched pairs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Is there going to be anything better than TCCD memory in the coming months? I'm thinking about just sticking with my current memory for now and save up for a pretty good pair of memory. Thanks.

I like the Patriot TCCD that I have. I got the Patriot XBL. Right now I'm running it at 480 MHz @ 2-3-3-6. That's with 2.8v. I think the price is pretty good too.

Last edited:
There is always something better, but I doubt it will be any time soon. The price is expected to drop a bit more this year and that would be helpful.

rseven said:
There is always something better, but I doubt it will be any time soon. The price is expected to drop a bit more this year and that would be helpful.

As in 1-2 months for a price drop or near December or something? If not, then i'll just buy it now instead of waiting when i get the money. :burn:

I really don't know, but the prices have gone down quite a bit in the last 6 weeks. I don't think they've bottomed out, but it's a crap shoot.

Well i just hope they don't raise next month when i buy them heh. Are there any other mentionable ones out there other than the Patriot ones That Raven linked? Thanks.

Here's a link to a bunch of reviews at anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/
This is a link to a listing of ram with tccd.
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43659
The Patriots are the lowest prce next to the Kingston, but the Patriots seem to be worth the extra $10. The GSkill seem to be reasonable as well and they are quite the fad right now. I'm looking to get these and I'm waiting for the next price drop that may or may not happen.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85019-22

I don't know anything about them. How do they OC? They are certainly inexpensive. However, if they perform poorly then they are not a bargain. I suggest you make a separate thread and ask for peoples opinions. Maybe some folks have used them and can tell you more. I'm interested in what people have to say because if they are decent then they're a deal.

I have them. I know how they perform, which is why I recommended them. They have acted exactly like BH-5 in every respect so far. Which means...they are absolutely useless without decent voltages (at least 3.1 volts).

Mine are at 240mhz 2-2-2-11-1t at 3.2 volts.

-Collin-

Oh, I didn't know. How are they with dividers? Is that a booster you are using for that voltage or is that one of those nice advantages of DFI? My board only goes to 2.85 which would be nothing in those chips.

I'd jump on that twinmos ram, but I'm unsure if it would be aadt or aa4t. Waiting for a chance at 2 sticks of the speed premium which is pretty much a lock for 4.4ns utt chips.

Back