• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Memory Run Slower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silvercue

I have 1 Gig OCZ EL DDR400 Dual Channel RAM. One of the modules is dodgy so I have to RMA it. OCZ want to replace both sticks as it is a matched pair, which is fair enough. However, I will be without a PC while it is changed so thought about buying more memory anyway. If I buy another identical kit, so I have 2 GIG when it is returned - will my memory actually run slower??

I have read on a couple of forums that 1 gig (2x512) runs better than 2 Gig (4x512) Is this correct? I have heard that it is definately harder to overclock if you have more.... again I would appreciate your comments.

Not sure that 2 gig is really worth it anyway - as I mainly play games..

If so I will be better off just buying some junk memory for while mine is being replaced....?

Advice appreciated.

Ya, I would like to know this also, I have 2x512 OCZ EL Plat R2 PC3200, and I would like to get another 1GB kit, so 4x512 running dual channel.

Does anyone know the answer?

Does 4x512 have a performance (speed) drop from 2x512?

silvercue said:
Does anyone know the answer?

Does 4x512 have a performance (speed) drop from 2x512?

i wouldn't think so, but it'll be harder to OC and run dual channel, i don't think you would have problem running them at stock.

I doubt 2GB of RAM would provide an extensive benefit unless you were already maxing out what you have. Video editing, perhaps some hardcore scientific calculations or encoding or photoshop may eat up the RAM but it depends what you do and how often.

As for harming performance, I beleive it does but only slightly. The more RAM a system has to adress the slower it will do it. Also, if you have more RAM this produces more heat and draws a little more power.

since we're dealing with this at an overclocking website I can tell you from experience that more ram is usually harder to overclock. If all the ram was running at default speed I would imagine the system would run fine. I have one rig with 2gigs of ram which I reboot about once or twice a month. I wouldn't even try to overclock it. The additional ram allows the system to run great without ever bogging down, but it's not really a performance system. Single sided ram usually always overclocks better than the same ram in double sided form....... hope this helps.

Basically, you hear what you refer to because in overclocking you will always be limited to the poorest performing stick - the worst performing stick out of the 4 will limit how far you can overclock the rest of the sticks.

2GB will be hardly worth it in games right now from what I have seen.

If you use any newsreaders, it could come in handy, or other things that consume a lot of memory... Very few people have 2GB of memory, so keep in mind that game developers will be designing their games to be playable on systems that the majority of gamers own.

I will be considering 2GB sometime after I build my s939 system, as with 1.25GB currently, I often find myself running with only 150MB or less.

Back