• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dppwdrmn26

Registered
I just uninstalled StyleXP and when I rebooted so that I could install SP1 and have USB 2.0 work, it wouldn't boot. I think that StyleXP didn't set the boot file back to the original when I uninstalled, or that it didn't reset the Logon screen. Now it will go through the boot screen, hang for a second and then restart. When I tried to use the Windows XP boot disc and repair the install it said that it could not find any hard drives. I do have them installed through a RAID controller, but the software is obviously installed already. I have files on my computer that are extremely important, and I cannot afford to lose them, I have been working on a computer simulation of a black hole for the last 6 months. My only other theory is that one or both of the hard drives dies on me, in which case I might just have to kill myself!

Any ideas on how I can atleast recover the files I need, or to fix the current problem? Please help!!!!!

you've loaded drivers for the raid card when you try boot from XP cd to repair?

Alright I used the drivers for the raid card to get into the repair on the xp cd, and I did the FIXBOOT command, and it reset the bootscreen, but it still hangs then restarts when the logon should come on. So the problem must lie in the logon, but I did not see any commands to reset that.

OK so now I have XP working again, but now I have other problems.

For starters, neither of my physical dvd drives are being recognized when I am in windows, but they are while it is booting.

Also, Firefox will not run properly. I try to open it and it shows that it is running at 99% and does not open any window.

Any ideas on WTF is wrong now?

EDIT: Firefox will open a window now, but it still runs at very high % and I tried reinstalling to no avail.

Last edited:
Have you tried some spyware scanner? Maybe something is loading with firefox that shouldnt be. Also a system repair may help or atleast defrag/chkdsk.

Back