• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting 1GB GEIL Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I'm running my 2500+ and my memory at stock speeds I'm happy with running my barton at stock cause my games are kinda in the 800mhz for CPU requirements & my system is fast and reliable. My memory is running as it says in my BIOS 2.5-3-3-6 can I change these settings to make it run a tad faster without changing my 2500+ settings.

It says under DRAM 400/400 which is stock CPU-Z reports it as running at 200mhz each chip. Would I be able to get a least say maybe 250mhz or more without worrying about temps as I haven't got anything that tells me about my memory temps.

I don't know if your ram would handle that big of an overclock, but I tend to doubt it. Also, with Atlon XP based systems you want to run your ram and FSB at the same speed. To put it simply it is because your Northbridge memory controller will waste time converting the FSB speed to ram speed. The result is a slower running system. If your board locks the PCI bus then you should try upping the FSB and run the ram at a 1:1 divider which is the same speed as the FSB. My 2500 will easily clock up to 190mhz without extra voltage and it is not an unusual cpu. The incresed speed of the ram makes the video card faster. If you try this take iit in small increments 3 to 5 MHz on the FSB at a time and check the CPU temps as you go. Also check for stability with a progam like Prime95.

I'm sorry to say that the GeIL will not boot at around 210FSB, I have a modified BIOS, MAX voltage and I burned them im and I hardly can get to 220-230mhz FSB.
GeIL are great value mem but not good at OCing.

Thanks guy's I've decided to buy a 3200+ OEM chip before they phase out completely I tried to OC my 2500+ but no go kepts failing to boot and when it did get into windows after 10 mins crashed. I'll leave it till my 3200+ comes thanks for the help.

Flip-Mode said:
GeIL are great value mem but not good at OCing.
This could perhaps be the case with their value / Golden Dragon-series. However the Ultra Platinum (Hynix D43 / D50-chips) and Ultra X-series (TCCD rev.F) are far from crap. I've seen Ultra-X run 2-2-2-x @ 260 MHz.

Back