• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Um, my update CD stopped working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

Alright, I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but something weird happened to me recently.

I had ordered the Windows Update CD from Microsoft last February when it came out, and every time I reinstall Windows I use that CD to update my computer, and it works just fine. However, three weeks ago when I built my mom a new comp, I installed Windows and then popped that CD in, and it came up and everything, and I pressed Install Updates, but one thing was different. Where it was supposed to list out the updates, it said this:

The automated page did not start properly. You must log on to your computer with administrator privileges to use this automated page. If you are already logged on as a computer administrator, try pressing F5 to refresh your browser.
It is also possible that this problem occurred because you clicked No on the IE Security Warning dialog box. Be sure to click Yes to any security dialog boxes that appear. Press F5 to refresh your browser and try again.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on, but I can't install any of those updates anymore from that CD. I'm logged in as an administrator, and I refreshed my "browser" but no go. Like I'm viewing it in a browser or something. It's really weird.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Well that's the main reason I got the CD, to avoid having to go to WindowsUpdate.com to download the updates...

Plus, it's more secure to install the updates on a non-internet connected computer than to go out and download them. Way faster too.

el I don't think you know what CD he is talking about,

Anyway, I had the same problem, my CD stopped working once I was shipped the SP2 CD

Back