• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP:. . . Trying to copy old hard drive to new...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
As the title says Im trying to copy My old 40 gig drive, OS boot drive(XP PRo SP2), to a new 120 gig drive. Both drives are Western Digitals. I have used the Copy CD(Data LifeGuard) that came with the new drive to copy. The copy was a success. The new drive will not boot now. I get a disk error. What is t he best way to fix this? Is this a boot sector issue and can I do a repair from XP CD? If so how do I do this? PLEASE HELP

Z

SUCCESSS!!!!!! Thanks Kendan. Kudos and a cold one to you.
All is well. Drive is copied correctly and running like a dream. That guide you posted is a must read. . THX again. I did not need to run the repair console. Even Nortons 2005 made the trip without screaming for reactivation.

Z

It ended up being the way I was doing the copy. I booted from the CD and went from there. After reading that guide I went back and made the copy from within XP and all went perfect.

Z

I know that this question has been answered. But isn't there an option in Windows XP to move or copy entire disk to a new drive? And what if the drive you are copying is partioned?

Back